Monday, March 23, 2015

RIPLKY

Woke up this morning to the sad news that Lee Kuan Yew has passed away.

This is a very respectable man, who despite his iron fist transformed Singapore into what she is today: a country with no natural resources and started with only 2 million people at his time into an oasis among third world countries in South East Asia.  But I believe he had to do what he did.  The results speaks for itself.

Some of his quotes that I'd like to share with everyone:

"What I fear is complacency. When things always become better, people tend to want more for less work."

"Rest on laurels?  I wish I could do that.  No, you rest when you're dead."

"I'm not interested in changing either my suit or my car or whatever with every change in fashion.  I don't judge myself or my friends by their fashion."

"I have never been over concerned or obsessed with opinion polls or popularity polls.  I think a leader who is, is a weak leader."

"I always tried to be correct, not politically correct."

"If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana."

Rest in Peace Mr. Lee, you have made your mark in history and will not be forgotten as one of the men who shaped modern history.

The Great Asian Tiger: Lee Kuan Yew


Update: I went to the tribute site in Tanjong Pagar Community Centre to convey my condolences and pay respect to Mr. Lee.  The mood was somber and the loss can be clearly felt by everyone present.  I chose to go here as this is his constituency and also the most accessible site to me.  

At Tanjong Pagar Community Center Tribute Site to Mr. Lee Kuan Yew

It's really touching to see so many people bid farewell to this legendary figure.  Farewell Sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment