Sunday, April 19, 2015

Little Nyonya Batik

Today was a busy day, we were helping a good friend with her Peranakan store's grand opening.  So I and my wife were out since morning 10 am till about 8 pm.  I myself was particularly busy being the photographer of the event and for her catalagoue.  I'll say that this must be the most colourful and gorgeous entry in my blog ever. 

Peranakan Umbrella

Her shop, Little Nyonya Batik (http://www.littlenyonyabatik.com/) is located in Hotel Royal Newton, #03-28 (Update: the shop has since shifted to unit #03-20, opens on every Saturdays 11am - 5pm) 1 Coleman Street The Adelphi #02-01 S(179803).  However its strictly by appointment only, so best to Do contact her at (+65) 9062-3448 before coming.  You can find a variety of Peranakan fashion such as kebaya, sarong, batik shirts, scarfs, sandals, shoes, chopsticks, tea cups, fridge magnets, brooches and so many more - all of them sporting beautiful and intricate Peranakan designs.       

Exterior of The Shop
Peranakan Style & Fashion Display
I find Peranakan patterns of the batik & embroidery to be very beautiful, although I won't necessarily wear a batik shirt myself as I still prefer a cool, baggy non-collared t-shirt in the hot & humid weather of Singapore.  Even for casual Fridays in office, it's still too formal.  But if I were a businessman in Indonesia, I suppose I would have quite a few in my wardrobe.

Ladies' Sarongs on Display
As it was the grand opening day, she rented a function room for a small gathering with her customers and it was a big sale day with plenty of Peranakan stuffs.

Display Centrepiece
Peranakan Accessories
The sarongs and kebayas on sale have very amazing patterns.  Some of the batik shirts and sarongs are hand drawn while others are made using pattern stamp.  Hand drawn sarongs take about 4-6 months to complete per piece depending on the complexity of the pattern.  But for me, it was the kebayas' embroidery that really caught my eyes.

Here are some collages of the interesting kebaya patterns I saw.
A Collage of Kebaya Patterns, My Favourite is of The Peacock
This Collage Has More Floral Patterns, Again I Like The Design With The Fowl
The One on The Left is a Kebaya Embroidery While The Right One is a Sarong Pattern
The event officially ended at 3:30 pm.  But my role as the photographer didn't stop there.  I helped to take photos for her catalogue and website with my wife and another friend as the model.  Here are some select photos of the ladies in their exquisite Peranakan kebaya & sarong. 
My Wife on The Left, The Lady Boss Ms. Della Ong on The Right
Another Collage of The Ladies
Well....  who knew kebaya and sarong can make a woman look so gorgeous right?
If you're interested to find out more, do check my friend's website at http://www.littlenyonyabatik.com/.  If you'd like to take a look, do give her a call before dropping by her shop.

Here's a closing photo that I really like - my wife look absolutely amazing here in her green kebaya and purple sarong, not to mention her friend too in her blue kebaya and pink sarong.

My Wife on The Right Holding The Umbrella With Her Good Friend
~ Photos Taken With Nikon D5300 + Tokina AT-X 12-24mm F4; Fujifilm X-T1 + XF23mmF1.4R ~

No comments:

Post a Comment