Right about 2 months ago I visited my regular family doctor due to a sore throat with fever, which was soon diagnosed as a common cold - yes I had a bit of a blocked nose although it was the sore throat that really bothered me.
When the doctor took my blood pressure she said that it was on the high side, borderline in fact. And I should exercise more and lose weight where possible.
I didn't really took that into consideration as I was more irritated by the fever and painful throat (as well as the occasional cough due to phlegm). But over time I began to realize that she does have a point. There were times when I had unexplained bouts of headaches that regular paracetamol cannot handle. The pain felt like the back of my head was literally being pulled. And there were also times when the headache was so bad I had to throw up.
So I decided that I have to take control of my weight problem. I changed my diet by cutting out carbohydrates on weekday day time, eating salad, fried eggs and tofu as well as protein bars. No more coffee on weekdays. Instead I start drinking green tea and reduce my coffee intake to 2 or 3 cups in a week - with milk yes but unsweetened. At night time I allow myself a bit of rice in order to have some energy to cycle on a static bike. I'd try to cycle at least 4 times a week although sometimes it's actually lesser than that.... In fact for the past 2 weeks I only cycled twice despite maintaining my diet.
Then just a week ago I got myself a Fitbit Charge HR to measure my heart rate. I think that was the right decision... I realized my heart rate is really high, unlike 9 years ago when I was averaging about 62 bpm. Even 7 years ago it was still at quite a manageable 67. Nowadays I average about 88 to 92. Even when resting the lowest I got was only 74. I take this as a warning that I really have to start taking my weight issue seriously.
Just yesterday on Tuesday I exercised again, 36 minutes on the static bike at 38% resistance, burned 455 calories. This is my heart rate after that exercise.
![]() |
| After 36 minutes of cycling! |
Then I went on to do some weights to cool down. When I checked the app on my phone, I was still on the cardio zone about 10 minutes after the bike session.
![]() |
| After 10 minutes of weight lifting |
The heart rate stayed at about 111 1 hour after exercising. And finally before bedtime it was at this rate:
![]() |
| Right before bed time |
![]() |
| Resting BPM |
I guess I have a lot to keep up to reduce my weight. Here's to a healthier me!
~ Photos & screenshots taken with LG G3 ~




No comments:
Post a Comment