Thursday, February 25, 2016

Surabaya Trip - Part 2

On the 2nd day of the trip, our main objective was to visit the legendary Pasar Atum.  It's been around for the longest time...   Since 1972 to be exact.  I had been going there ever since I was just a 9 year old, which is 26 years ago.  My wife wanted to make customized plastic covers for our luggage and as far as we know Pasar Atum has several tailors who make the custom covers.

First stop of the day is breakfast at Nasi Bali Cik Ing.  This is a home based eatery selling Balinese mixed rice with pork.  Personally I prefer the tuna version, but I've never come across that version in Surabaya.  So far all use pork.  But irregardless, it's still damn good food.

Yep that's the address alright!  Darmo Permai Selatan XVIII No. 2

And this..... this is what made the trip really really worth it....  strangely I can't find Nasi Bali this good in Bali itself, I've heard of the famous Bu Oka in Denpasar, but haven't got the chance to go there, maybe I should do it if I had a chance to visit Bali next time.

Oh yeah baby... really love this grub! 
As soon as we finished brunch, it's time to leave for Pasar Atum.  It took us about an hour to get there and the place is still as I remembered, although there are newer more modern sections that have been added, they call it Pasar Atum Mall.  What I was really nostalgic about is the old section.  Back then my mom would take me to Pasar Atum at least once a month when I was still 10 - 12 years old.  I really love the variety of snack and street food here as well as old style baked goods.

A collage of old Pasar Atum
It was really good to indulge in some childhood snacks with my kids.  Now they know what daddy used to eat as a kid.  Hahaha!

It took us a while to find the tailors and even before we did my wife spotted other things that interested her so there were unscheduled stops at other vendors.

The kids waiting for curious mommy
During this detour I actually chanced upon a shop where my mom had bought me some shoes twenty years ago.  I still recognized the shopkeeper.  She's much older now, but her shop is still going strong.

After we found the tailors, did some haggling, made payment, it was time to go back.  On the way back, my wife was interested again by some other stuffs, so the kids and I goofed around again while waiting for her.

Then it was really time to go home.  The journey back home was an amazing one and half hour.  Unbelievable.....  Whatever happened to Surabaya traffic man.... Anyway, that's how we spent day 2 of the trip.

Here's a closing shot for this entry.

Lindsay munching on a "lekker" with cool Lincoln
~ Photos taken with Sony RX 100 Mk 3 ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment