Tuesday, September 25, 2018

An Enemy of Fate

That is the season finale from one of my favourite science fiction drama Fringe.  In the penultimate sacrifice, Walter Bishop accompanied Michael, a child Observer to the future in order to prevent the experiments that resulted in the creation of the Observers (yes, this description is quite wonky, but in typical J.J. Abrams story lines, you have to watch from the beginning in order to get the whole thing) who carried out the invasion of humankind of the past back in 2015.  In order to further ensure that a paradox is not to be created, Walter has to live out his life in the future with Michael which means he'll be separated from Peter for good and gets erased from that particular timeline.  I know you still don't get it...  even when I read that summary aloud I thought I sounded as crazy as Walter.

Okay, mad scientist had to bring a child from the future to a closer future, so that other mad scientists of closer future will stop experiments that resulted in evolutionized human beings from further future to invade primitive humans in 2015.      

Anyway, before Walter entered the wormhole, he looked back at Peter Bishop, his "son" from a parallel universe Walter had snatched him from.  Peter mouthed "I love you dad" and Walter walked into the wormhole to fix all the mess he created since he first crossed universes and created a rupture that resulted in the Fringe events.


This is one of my favourite father and son moments from any story, especially after having followed Fringe for quite a while and knowing the nature of Walter & Peter Bishop's relationship.  And to sum up the whole drama, its a story of how much a father grieved the loss of his son that he would do anything to save that son, and having to rectify the repercussions of his actions. 

Deviating from Fringe for a bit, I personally don't think I'll ever say those four words Peter mouthed to Walter..  Yes, I have father issues...  having become a father myself, there are times I cannot fathom my father's mistakes that he had chosen to commit into.  I thought that my children would make him realize his ways but I was quite gravely mistaken... Age didn't change him and certainly not his grandchildren either.  And my wife just can't empathize since she does not understand the gravity of my feelings nor my emotions, which to be fair to her, she fortunately does not have to endure.  Despite appearances, a plethora of emotions rage inside me and I just have to vent..  

I don't think I'll ever say "I love you dad" to my own father.  But it would break my heart if my children wouldn't say that to me.  I'm not a mad scientist like Walter Bishop, but I find his love for his son very admirable, and something that I wish to emulate and live out with my children while constantly reminding myself, that I'm a better man than my father.

Just some ranting....  No customary shots...

No comments:

Post a Comment