Thursday, March 7, 2019

Tokyo Business Trip March 2019

Here’s my first entry for Marvelous March - Dang, I missed to write an entry for "Fabulous Feburary"....  Anyway, I just returned from a work trip to Tokyo where I visited Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha’s HQ for some briefings along with one of my bosses. 

Looking at The Tarmac While Waiting - RX100 Mk3
It was a pleasant morning flight, scheduled to arrive in cold wintry Tokyo in the early evening.

Waiting in the Boarding Gate - Galaxy Note 9
This time I flew by ANA.  I really enjoyed the flight; service was impeccable, and seating is spacious with quite a good variety of in-flight entertainment to kill off 6 hours of flight time. 

Inside ANA's NH842 B787 Cabin - Galaxy Note 9
Upon arrival, we immediately cleared the immigration, picked up our luggage and hopped on the Tokyo Monorail heading to Hamamatsucho.  

While waiting for our baggage - Galaxy Note 9
Onboard Tokyo Monorail towards Hamamatsucho - Galaxy Note 9
From there we took a short taxi ride to Dai Ichi Hotel in Shimbashi where we’d be staying for the next 3 nights. 

I was really surprised at how nice the hotel is, clearly a significant portion of the office’s budget has been allocated for this visit. 

Dai Ichi Hotel in Shimbashi is a classic French styled hotel nested between Shimbashi station and the Central Business District area in Toranomon.  A cheaper accommodation alternative is available next door in the form of Dai Ichi Annex, which is the business incarnation of the more upscale Dai Ichi Hotel.  I’m actually more comfortable with Dai Ichi Annex, I mean the rooms look similar to the ones in Villa Fontaine Shiodome and price wise, quite reasonable too.  Got lucky I guess. 

21st floor corridor outside my room - Galaxy Note 9
And a very nice room - RX100 Mk3
After we checked-in, we went downstairs to meet my former boss who has since been re-posted to “K” Line’s Business Systems Company.  He’s been back for slightly less than a year, taking up entirely new roles and functions as compared to what he used to do back then in Singapore.  It was great catching up with him over dinner at a nearby Izakaya.  After dinner, we returned to the hotel and before hitting the sack I snapped a photo of this nice view. 

It would've been a rather dark view if not for the glowing Tokyo Tower in the frame - RX100 Mk3
And in the morning just after waking up, I took another snap of the scenery under a different light.  

Good morning Shimbashi - RX100 Mk3
After shower & breakfast, my boss & I walked to the head office in Iino Building which is just less than 10 minutes away. 

After clearing some formalities and a meeting with our hosts, it was time for lunch at a nearby Indian restaurant.  When we got back, I had time to snap some photos of the lobby area. 

Welcome to "K" Line - RX100 Mk3

Large scale models of modern tankers - Galaxy Note 9

And of a container vessel - Galaxy Note 9
After a short meeting where we observed an audit process by an external quality assurance company, we waited at the “K” Line Café with Hibiya Park in full view as the auditor consolidated his findings into a report. 

A real cafe in the office - Galaxy Note 9

Hibiya Park as seen from the window in "K" Line Cafe - RX100 Mk3
Not long after, we were treated by the Managing Director of Energy Tanker ships to dinner in Tokyo Prince Hotel’s Shimizu Restaurant.   It was an amazing dinner with Tokyo Tower in full view from our table. 

Shimizu Restaurant's entrance - Galaxy Note 9
After dinner, the director very kindly took us to Tokyo Tower and sent us back to Dai Ichi Hotel afterwards.  

Tokyo Tower which is just a short walk away from Tokyo Prince hotel - RX100 Mk3
Winter illuminations at ground floor - RX100 Mk3
And the breathtaking view from top - RX100 Mk3
As it was still early, I decided to take a walk in nearby Ginza to get some souvenirs from Sanrio Gift Gate and made a stop at GU.  While waiting for my boss doing her shopping I walked around to find some photo opportunities.  

I wasn't trying very hard I guess :p - RX100 Mk3
On the following morning, we had quick simple meetings which we cleared before lunch.  As we had a full half day to ourselves, we decided to go to Asakusa.  It was raining, not so hard but not light either.  And the wind was quite strong with temperatures dropping to about 7 degrees though it was day time. 

Tokyo Skytree's outline as seen on the rainy day - Galaxy Note 9

Going into Sensoji - RX100 Mk3
Praying to Kanon - RX100 Mk3
After the short prayer, time to explore - RX100 Mk3
It was very unfortunate that my RX100 Mk3 suddenly stopped working here, I’m not sure whether it’s due to the cold weather or perhaps due to some rain water falling on it, although just very little… but then I spotted a couple sporting an RX100 as well, theirs was working fine.  Clearly there’s something very wrong with mine as this is the 2nd time I encountered the same issue. 

Mother and child Jizo statues outside Sensoji - Galaxy Note 9
We took a brief respite from the cold rain in a small restaurant before finally going to Nakamise Dori.   

Took a quick bite before shopping - RX100 Mk3
After we were done exploring Asakusa, we continued to Tokyo Skytree for a while, but didn’t go up.  We just checked out the shopping area before finally going back to the hotel.

Early morning next day, it was time to go back to hot and sunny Singapore…   

Going to our boarding gate in Haneda - Galaxy Note 9
Here's a closing shot for this entry:  

また、会おうよ東京!
~ Photos taken with Sony RX100 Mk 3 & Samsung Galaxy Note 9 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment