Thursday, July 25, 2019

Pandan Chiffon Cake

Okay, this is the last one on pandan.  I've basically ran out of pandan & coconut oil after this bake.  

Fresh From The Oven - Galaxy Note 9
Work started with blendering the finely cut pandan leaves with 65 ml of coconut milk.  After blendering the leaves + coconut milk, I strained the leftover pulp to get as much green colour as possible.

Blendering Pandan + Coconut Milk - Galaxy Note 9
After that, I prepared all dry ingredients and separated the eggs.  Again, I used Team Yellow and Team White approach.  

Yep, That's All You Need to Go - Galaxy Note 9
This time around I did not get as much pandan juice as I had wanted.  So I reduced the amount of liquid in the leave + milk + oil mix as I didn't want to dilute the pandan aroma by too much.  

I also used a beater to mix Team Yellow this time which worked like a charm as it got the work done very quickly.  As I didn't put in quite a lot of liquid, the resulting Team Yellow this time is too thick and that affected the end result which I'll elaborate on later.  

So Much Easier Than Beating by Hand - Galaxy Note 9
After I was done with Team Yellow, time to start with Team White which was very straightforward.  

Whipping Team White Into Shape - Galaxy Note 9
As per usual, I folded Team White into Team Yellow and mixed them until homogenous.  Then I poured the batter into a chiffon pan, tapped it on the table's surface a few times and ran a chopstick to remove small air bubbles, and the cake was ready to go into the oven.  

Removing Air Bubbles - Galaxy Note 9
The cake baked for 55 minutes at 170℃.  

The Batter Was Just Too Low..  - Galaxy Note 9
I wasn't very happy with the end result this time.  The cake was not as moist and spongy as my Gula Melaka one.  I had wrongly estimated the amount of coconut milk and coconut oil I had left for this bake.  After I poured the batter into the pan, I could see that the batter didn't rise very well.  Even in the oven, the cake didn't rise that high.  

20 Minutes Into Bake Time - Galaxy Note 9
But in the end, the cake was still good.  Just slightly drier and not as soft although the flavour and aroma were spot on.  

Recipe for a 23 cm chiffon cake pan

Team Yellow: 
- 5 egg yolks 
- 30 gr caster sugar 
- 100 ml coconut oil  
- 6 pandan leaves, cut into small pieces 
- 120 ml coconut milk 
- 130 gr cake flour 
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 

Team White:  
- 5 egg whites 
- 90 gr caster sugar 
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar  
  
Method: 
1. Preheat oven to 170℃. 
2. Blend pandan leaves with coconut milk.  Strain the blended mixture. Set aside.     
3. Beat egg yolks, coconut oil & sugar till well incorporated.  Pour in the pandan + coconut milk essence.  Beat well again till well combined.  
4. Mix in the flour, salt & baking powder and beat till well incorporated.
5. Beat egg whites till foamy.  Gradually add sugar and cream of tartar till stiff peaks formed.  Set aside.  
6. Take a third of meringue mix and fold into Team Yellow, mix till homogenous.  Pour in the rest of Team White to Team Yellow and fold well.   
7. Pour batter into chiffon cake tube pan, tap pan on table surface a few times to remove large air bubbles.  Run through a chopstick in the batter a few times to remove smaller air bubbles.  
8. Bake in oven at 170℃ for 55 minutes.  
9. Once done, take cake out to cool by inverting the pan.  
10. Remove from pan after cake has cooled down completely.  

Here's a closing photo for this entry:  

Very Flavourful and Relatively Soft - Galaxy Note 9
~ Photos Taken With Samsung Galaxy Note 9 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment