Friday, January 29, 2021

Jumpy January

As the brand new school year started this month, the kids got busy again.  It was kind of hard to jump start their learning instinct, I was really busy trying to get them up to speed again.  Especially for Lincoln, he has about 18 months left before PSLE starts.  I can't help but worry for him and so I must start drilling him harder and change his habits.  When I looked at the new PSLE scoring system, my heart just dropped. 😔😔😔  With this new scoring system it's so much harder to get into a choice secondary school.  

New PSLE Scoring System 😱 - Galaxy Note 9

To ensure that Lindsay does not get left behind, I signed her up for an online math course from Koobits.  I think the price is quite reasonable and she has to commit 30 minutes a day.  But that doesn't mean she can do the learning all by herself, I still have to guide her along.  Same as Lincoln, my wife and I have to sit next to him as he does his homework and revisions at home from now on.  

Lindsay Doing Her Koobits Practice - Galaxy Note 9

In any case, January has been about finding new routines and adjusting to them.  By now, we just need to fine tune some of our routines and adjust further accordingly.

Work wise, my company replaced my laptop with a Surface Pro 7.  Although it is a nice and sleek device, the smaller screen size is really a big minus.  When doing analysis works and requirement fixes, looking at a small screen means a very high risk of missing some details.  So... I might ask for my old laptop back.  But I do like how I can use my personal Surface Go too while using the work Surface Pro 7 as I could use 1 mouse & 1 keyboard for both devices.  

My Work From Home Setup With Dual Surface Devices - Galaxy Note 9

Linc and I also started our karate training again.  We have to go further to Jalan Besar CC in Lavender on Monday nights for training.  I asked Tan Sensei whether classes in Leng Kee CC can resume, he told me that Leng Kee CC suspended the class indefinitely.  It's such a disappointment......  But the most important thing for now is, we're training again.  We haven't trained in 11 months, the first session was a killer... My stances were not low enough, I couldn't keep my back upright for long and my tsukis just lacked power...  I suppose it'll take some considerable time for me to reach my usual fitness level.  

First Training in 11 Months; Linc Took This Photo During His Break - Galaxy Note 9

Still on Karate, I stumbled upon an amazing kata called Sansai (三才).  Sansai comes from the Genseiryu (玄制流) school.  This video here pitted Moto Kazumasa who performed Sansai against Ryo Kiyuna who performed Anan Dai.  Anan Dai is another legendary kata from Ryuei Ryu (劉衛流).  Talk about having too much good stuff in one serving.  Just digressing a bit, Kiyuna's performance is akin to a Kabuki play with his animated facial expressions, I prefer Kazumasa's which looks more natural.  Regardless, Anan Dai is a very good kata.  😁

Despite our increasing activities, we still made time to exercise in Alexandra Canal Park.  The park always looks so charming during sunset.  We haven't been cycling as frequent as we would like due to rainy weather and Linc's new tuition timing on Saturday afternoons, so we have to make do with just short walks.

Wonderful Sunset Always - Galaxy Note 9

We ended the month by running some errands for my father again yesterday, where I had to clear up some stuffs from one of his properties.  

Clearing Up Stuffs - Galaxy Note 9

After that short errand trip we went for brunch at Sawadee in Tan Quee Lan Street.  Amazing Thai food there.

After Brunch at Sawadee - Galaxy Note 9

And that's how our Jumpy January is coming to an end.  

Here's a closing shot for this month's short entry: 

January Morning Moon - Galaxy Note 9

~ Photos Taken With Samsung Galaxy Note 9 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment