On a personal basis, September has been very kind to me. However, I'm extremely disappointed at the Multi Ministry Task Force's unforgivable blunder which has lead to a sudden increase of COVID-19 case numbers in Singapore. Hence... "scrappy". I'm extremely flustered that despite their simulation showing that cases could hit 2000 a day, the task force did not put any restrictions to slow the spread when the number of daily cases was still quite low. Instead, they tried to ramp up handling capabilities. Did they not learn from Israel's experience? We will go endemic, yes, that's an eventuality. But going endemic right now, is still too early. What about the over 60s with co-morbidities who have yet to get their booster shots? What about children under 12 who cannot be vaccinated yet? Not only the over 60s, even normal adults need booster shots too, to avoid vaccine breakthrough infections! The task force has made a wrong judgement on the timing to open up and we are now paying a heavy price with restricted movements, daily reported deaths, messed up school exam schedules and businesses that suffer from spontaneous restrictions or even closures when infections hit one of their own. At the same time, I can't help but worry for the kids who have yet to get their vaccines. While so far there has been no reported deaths of children under 12 from COVID-19 in Singapore, I prefer to minimise the kids' risks of contracting COVID-19 as much as possible. As I'm writing this entry now, the number of COVID-19 cases for children under 12 has hit 1266 just in September alone while in the past 7 days the number of cases in this age group is 677.
 |
| Oh Yes, I'm Keeping Track of This Age Group - Just Excel |
Linc & Lind are now into their 2nd day of Home Based Learning while we, the adults are on default WFH mode. Let's hope this latest measures will bring down the numbers in the next 4 weeks. So much for the frustrating stuffs...
 |
| Late Morning in Bras Basah - Galaxy Note 9 |
Anyway, we started September with my birthday celebration. I turned 40. That's a milestone isn't it? I started my birthday with prayers at 莲山双林 temple. It has been quite a while since I last went there.
 |
| Early Morning in 莲山双林寺 - Galaxy Note 9 |
After the prayers, we went for a nice family lunch at Angus House Takashimaya. The kids really loved that lunch as much as I & the missus did too. From there we then went to Funan to catch Shang Chi. Shang Chi is an awesome origins story that heralds a new era in Marvel's epic sagas. I look forward to the upcoming Marvel movies which hopefully will be as exciting as Shang Chi.
 |
| Must Watch Shang Chi! - Galaxy Note 9 |
On the following day, we went to Bras Basah Complex for Lindsay's dental appointment. I really love how Bras Basah Complex has withstood the tests of time, from when I was in secondary school till now, a father of 2. I can't help but feel nostalgic whenever I visit this place. Nowadays, you can go mural hunting too in the complex.
 |
| Ice Cream Uncle - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| Book Shop & Theatre? I Don't Quite Get This One - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| Jamming on Books - Galaxy Note 9 |
From Bras Basah Complex we went for lunch at Burger & Lobster at Raffles Hotel, just across Bras Basah Complex. It was our first visit to B&L and the food was great as expected.
 |
| Drinks in The Afternoon? - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| The Best Laksa I've Ever Had - Galaxy Note 9 |
After lunch, we decided to linger around Raffles Hotel for a while to soak in the colonial-era atmosphere.
 |
| A Grand Courtyard Under The Hot Sun - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| Alleyways to Opulent Indulgences - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| A Modern Southbeach in The Background - Galaxy Note 9 |
After the short walk, we dropped by Singapore Coffee, which is also inside Raffles Hotel. The chocolate cake was awesome and the Kopi Shake, amazing. I really must drop by Singapore Coffee again to get that Kopi Shake.
 |
| Snacks and Desserts of Singapore Coffee - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
The Amazing Kopi Shake - Galaxy Note 9
|
 |
| Lindsay All Masked Up - Galaxy Note 9 |
I also went for my 2nd Dan grading on that same week and managed to pass. I'm just so glad I passed the grading as it has been long overdue. I was supposed to have gone for it in April 2020, unfortunately COVID happened. I'm not at my physical best this time around, so I just felt very lucky to pass the grading. Omura Sensei's remarks were: kata could be better, form could be better but good power. I also decided to reward myself with a new gi, since the current one I'm wearing has shrunk by about 7-8 cm after 3 years of use. I was considering between the long trusted and reliable Shureido or the more modern and relatively new Hayate. All things considered, I finally decided to stick with Shureido. But this time I'm going with synthetic materials which is supposed to shrink less, so that I can use the gi longer. All these while I have always preferred using cotton, maybe it's time to try new things. The Shureido gi I'm getting weighs approximately 2 Kg, which is the same as the one I'm wearing now. I'm just curious whether the new one will snap as hard as my current one. I'm really looking forward to getting the new gi in 4 weeks time.
The following week, I got quite a scare at work. A colleague was confirmed to have contracted COVID-19 and I was in office at the same time as she was. As a precaution, the company asked all staff who returned on the same days as her to go for PCR test. It was the first time I had a PCR test which was quite a hell of an experience. As the swab went deep inside my nostrils, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to cry of sneeze, the sensation was both ticklish & irritating.
 |
| First PCR Test - Galaxy Note 9 |
We had to do 3 more ART tests after that PCR test, and fortunately all was OK with me.
 |
| First Self ART Test - Galaxy Note 9 |
One week after the Burger & Lobster lunch we went to Black Tap in MBS as there was a sudden unexplainable craving for burgers again. After an extremely filling lunch we just took a short stroll in MBS before finally returning home.
 |
| Appetizer: Nacho + Dips - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| Another Appetizer: Chicken Fingers - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| My Main Course: Crispy Chicken Burger - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| Jalan Jalan in MBS - Galaxy Note 9 |
On the following week, Mid-Autumn was approaching. Even the nearby Redhill Market was nicely decorated.
 |
| Colourful Redhill Market - Galaxy Note 9 |
I also had to make a short visit to Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal; my father asked me to deliver some Indonesian moon cakes to his former boss. It was an errand that brought me on a short drive to Tanah Merah which gave me a chance to admire the serene blue seas.
 |
| A Beautiful Blue Scenery- Galaxy Note 9 |
Believe it or not, we had another burger lunch just last Saturday. This time it was a simpler lunch at Shake Shack Suntec City.
 |
| More Burgers! - Galaxy Note 9 |
I also went to Gardens by The Bay and Chinatown with Lindsay to take some photos of the mid-autumn festivities.
 |
| Chang Er Lantern in Chinatown - A7RMk3 + FE 16-35mm F2.8G |
 |
| Lovebirds in The Gardens - A7RMk3 + FE 16-35mm F2.8G |
 |
| High Beams in The Gardens - A7RMk3 + FE 16-35mm F2.8G |
This month, I almost, almost.... got what I wished so badly for. I'm still not sure how things will turn out. I've had 3 rounds of interviews, the 4th one is coming up next Monday. Let's see how it'll go.
 |
| Lindsay' Art Assignment From School - Galaxy Note 9 |
Other than the happenings above, I had my usual Saturday walks with the missus. I really think we should change route sometime as the walks are getting quite monotonous.
 |
| Yellow Afternoon - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| A Calm Clarke Quay - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| Colourful Alkaff Bridge - Galaxy Note 9 |
 |
| Again, Alkaff Bridge - Galaxy Note 9 |
So much for September. Let's see how October turns out.
Here's a closing shot for this month's entry:
 |
| The Cutest Birthday Card From My Lovely Daughter - Galaxy Note 9 |
~ Photos Taken With Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and Sony A7RMk3 + FE16-35mm F2.8G ~
No comments:
Post a Comment