Monday, February 7, 2022

An Almost 9 Year Voyage With "K" Line Pte Ltd

I thought long and hard about this post really.  By now "K" Line Pte Ltd is the employer with whom I've worked the longest for - 8 years and 9 months to be exact.  I started back in March 2013 as a Senior Executive in the Information Systems Solutions department, 8 days after Lindsay's birth.  I started my career with "K" Line then very enthusiastically, it was my ticket back to Singapore which I had long hoped for.  I was very grateful to my hiring manager then who gave me the opportunity I had been hoping for in 3 years.  And not to mention her replacement who trusted me a lot to deliver some of the key projects in the company, he even convinced the CEO to retain me in "K" Line when I had turned down the offer to ONE.  I remain eternally grateful to both of them, truly.  

Old Plaque Back in AXA Tower

I have always loved the view from 39th floor of AXA Tower then, overlooking PSA Tanjong Pagar.  On good days with dramatic clouds I could always snap some of the most beautiful photos of the container terminal and the deep blue sea.

The No Longer Existent Tanjong Pagar Terminal Under Late Afternoon Sun

On Bluer Days

And if you would turn the other way, which is just behind my seat, I could treat myself to a nice view of Anson Road and the surrounding Tanjong Pagar area.

Just One of Those Rainy Days

Looking Further South

My Cubicle Decorations From Bali

Our office in AXA Tower was quite dated and the interior was quite old.  Back then there were no space for instant collaborations, only our own desks and seats.

Early Morning Shot

Almost Moving Time to Guoco Tower

One of Our Weekly Team Meetings

I still remember the moments I had lunches with my department colleagues and some from the IT department too at the outdoor seats in AXA Tower.  It was a very enjoyable time when things weren't so complicated.  There were a few difficult colleagues, who, after a little bit of understanding and empathy became reliable friends and colleagues.  It truly was a period which I loved from working with "K" Line back then.

Our Lunch Time Companions in AXA Tower

I also cherished the business trips to Bangkok, and even Hatyai in Thailand.  That was like, the furthest south I've ever been to in Thailand.  I met wonderful colleagues from both offices.  Those memories are like fleeting dreams now.  I'm quite familiar with Bangkok since I had been travelling there for work from NYK days.  My Bangkok work trips have been some of the trips that I enjoy very much.

Beautiful Sunset in Silom Bangkok

Busy Night in Thaniya Road Near "K" Line Thailand

With IT Project Team Colleague

Outside "K" Line Thailand

One of Those Training Sessions in BKK Office

Beautiful Sunset Again

Training Wrap Up

Busy Ratchaphrasong Intersection

"K" Line Thailand Hatyai Office

First Night in Hatyai

And after about 3 years in AXA Tower, we moved to Guoco Tower in early 2017, sometime after I returned from a work trip to Seoul for ONE's setup.  Although I love Guoco Tower's convenience, I couldn't help but miss the lovely views from AXA Tower since the new office is on a "lowly" 7th floor.  

Grand Opening Ceremony in Guoco Tower
Complete With Lion Dance

And That's a Wrap

My New Desk in Guoco Tower

My New Decorations

Work Station

I didn't have time to enjoy the view after we moved in as I was travelling for ONE's projects.  Oh yes... that was a time when I really got to see the world.  I went to Seoul & Ho Chi Minh for the first time ever, also spent so much time in Bangkok, even went to Tokyo in autumn.  That was one hell of a 2017.

View From Our Vendor's Office in Seoul

Late Night Work Meeting in Sheraton Ho Chi Minh

Tokyo Rainbow Bridge in 2017

And on the days I'm in Singapore, I also spent more time in ONE's temporary office in Keppel Tower which has since been demolished.

Personal Room in Keppel Tower, I Felt Like a Boss

A Different Room For Another Day

I only settled down in Guoco Tower in early 2018 after I had officially turned down the offer to move to ONE.  

Solving a Problem For The EDI Track

One of My VCs in Guoco Tower

With The Vendor's China and Brazil Teams

Early Morning in Guoco Tower

Last Team Lunch For The ISS Team

I remember a moment when the Japanese CEO came walking down with the British Director of the Agency company, my Malay colleague who sat next to me remarked "abang sama adek" which made me burst at my seams.  I hadn't realized the brotherly resemblance till she pointed it out to me.  It was very hilarious indeed.

After the container business was lost to ONE, work totally changed.  I was no longer a project manager, business analyst or a subject matter expert, no more business systems projects.  The things I did were mundane and were not challenging on all levels.  I was like, the in-house graphics designer, communications officer, the green environment guy, the newsletter guy, the toothless digitalisation guy and all those nonsense totally not related to IT.  It wasn't like I wasn't searching for a job too, I was...  Just that I didn't want to do anything related to shipping anymore.   And hiring companies in Singapore are extremely unforgiving to those people who do not have the relevant experience.

I Miss This Beautiful Morning in Guoco Tower

During the sustainability project campaign, I lobbied hard for the lighting to be switched off during lunch time.  It took a long while to get the idea accepted, but it finally happened after I had a reporting manager who also worked hard to make it happen.

Lights Off Lunch Time

Under this new "K" Line, I also had a chance to visit the head office in Tokyo back then in 2019.  That was the first time I stepped foot in "K" Line's HQ.

Welcome to "K" Line Tokyo

Back in Singapore, it was business as usual again, attending to the miscellaneous tasks that I didn't really enjoy.  But... I needed the paycheck and I still hadn't gotten lucky with my job search.

Photo For Newsletter


Trying to Come Up With a Digitalisation Roadmap For The CDO (I Thought He Was Supposed To Be The One To Come Up With It)

I always have very strong feelings about the photo above.  It makes me feel like I'm Anakin Skywalker.  I have the ability, but I was always ignored when the opportunity came and never acknowledged after I delivered.  As such I really had no other way but to "turn over to the dark side".  I was really amused when the CEO assigned himself as the CDO and yet the lower level managers have to set the direction and come up with the company's digitalisation roadmap?  And whenever I delivered projects, he never acknowledged me although I did the dirty work, he would acknowledge my reporting managers.  Anyway.....  that's that...  At least I'm at a different place now.

A Sustainability Slideshow I Created For The Pledge Wall

A Close Up

Went Down to Guoco Tower's Recycling Centre

Attended a Maritime Digitalisation Event in NUS

Back then I really hated the newsletter tasks.  I had to stage numerous photo ops for the articles.  There were so many times I had to persuade people to have their photos taken for articles written by them.  There were colleagues who were really helpful too, they came to my aid whenever I needed them.  I'm really thankful for their help.

A Photo Op For The Newsletter's Digitalisation Piece

There was one time when we did a CSR activity with the children and the elderly.  It was one of those memorable moments I've had with the company.

CSR Day With Lion's Befrienders

I Still Can't Believe I Drew That Back Then

When 2020 came, I thought that was the year things would change.  It never crossed my mind that COVID would turn our world upside down.  Although I was grateful I was still employed, the company's fickle (and quite possibly vain) leader made life a living hell.

It Was a 2020 I Wanted to Forget

Fortunately a colleague in a senior position in the IT department suggested for me to be transferred to his team to focus on Digitalisation Projects while letting go of the Sustainability and Newsletter matters.  I was then fully involved in the company's e-claims system which was launched successfully just a few weeks before I left.  I'm just so happy that I had paid my dues to "K" Line for the last 3 years they had kept me.

My Promotion's Acknowledgement

I don't regret leaving "K" Line.  I just miss the familiarity of the place, the routines I've had for the past 8 years plus, the people that made work enjoyable there...   Yeah... I miss the people the most...  It was such a memorable voyage.

As of now, I'm employed by Klook.  I can't say "happily" yet... There's something wrong with the company as they have a very high attrition rate.  From the moment I joined them, there have always been leavers every month.  The alarm bells were ringing in my head when I learned that the senior HRBP who interviewed me left the company less than a month after I joined Klook.  And in February alone there are 5 confirmed leavers.   And as I enter my 3rd month with Klook, I still haven't found what I'm looking for.  But I take comfort in accepting that, there is a lesson to be learned from my journey with Klook now, which will prepare me for the things I wish for later in life.  I really want to return to Tanjong Pagar, there's one particular company in Frasers Tower that I've been pining so hard to get into.

For now, I am truly grateful for the experience, the lessons, and most importantly, the people I met in "K" Line, especially those who have helped me to be where I am now.  I wish "K" Line fair winds and following seas always, and thank you for having taken care of me for the past 8 years and 9 months.

A closing photo for this entry: 

And I'm Still Searching, Even As My Voyage With "K" Line Has Ended

~ Photos Taken With Too Many Various Phone Cameras.... ~

No comments:

Post a Comment