Sometimes I wonder when can I start my entry on a positive note. Work has been disgusting as usual, unfortunately, work makes the most of our lives isn't it. The cursed SAP integration project is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel which will be 9th September. And the amount of preparation and tests that have to be done will have to take place over 1 weekend and 1 full day during the kids' term break. I can't believe it, another term break that I won't get to spend with family. This project is just f💣ked up. And all for vanity.
![]() |
| View From My Parents' House - Galaxy S23+ |
Luck hasn't been kind either, I haven't seen any other suitable internal transfer opportunities since I failed my 2nd transfer attempt. I know that the future doesn't bode well for me since I'm very likely to be in my HOD's black list hence I really have to transfer out before the next appraisal comes. But what am I to do?
Last week a headhunter called me up for an opportunity at MOL Chemical Tanker, however he returned advising the company preferred not to touch anyone from ONE. I wasn't sure if he was being honest or he was just making an excuse to turn me down. But that was the closest brush I had with an external opportunity.... A colleague who's feeling as frustrated as I am also saw his hopes of getting into Alibaba Cloud dashed last week when they turned him down after 2 interviews. But lucky for him, he's trying for an internal opportunity, courtesy of his mentor/mentee programme with a DGM from another department. Well... I wish him luck with that for sure.
Work doesn't lack it's share of drama either with a developer in the tech office getting mad at my colleague for "ratting" on him. Unfortunately there's nothing much my colleague can do since he's also under pressure from the top.
My team has a new joiner today who'll be focusing on projects. A friend at work cautioned me that I'm risking getting isolated and removed from projects, which will impede my career progression. And he's not wrong. I have signalled my intention to leave the team too early and now I have to pay the price. Hence I'm really rooting for a chance to transfer out soon. Another friend who's aware of my plight suggested I reach out to a senior manager in the HR department and tell her my full story so that I can get a better chance at the next internal transfer. I think I should do so when the opportunity becomes available.
Moving on to things outside work, this month saw me and the missus visiting Batam again to check on the progress of the room renovations. On this visit we bumped onto my father who happened to visit Batam at the same time.
![]() |
| Dinner With My Dad and His Entourage at Batam Centre - Galaxy S23+ |
Having returned from Jakarta, I'm very happy to know that my renovated rooms can give Mercure a good run for it's money. It's just that things have been progressing rather slowly and I'm really losing my patience at times.
![]() |
| Half Finished Renovated Rooms of Batam Harbour Hotel - Galaxy S23+ |
On this trip we also paid a visit to Pempek Pak Raden which doubles up as a cafe. My verdict... I won't come back here, just once is enough. Citra is still better.
![]() |
| Welcome to Pempek Pak Raden - Galaxy S23+ |
We also took this opportunity to take some food photos for a new Instagram campaign.
![]() |
| Oxtail Soup - Galaxy S23+ |
Towards the end of the month there was a sumptuous buffet lunch in the office which I really enjoyed, at least it took my mind off lousy work.
![]() |
| One of The Buffet Tables - Galaxy S23+ |
I gorged myself on a feast of dory fish, eggs, tofu and veggies which I rarely have at home, followed by one serving of ice cream. I also indulged in some carbs just for the hell of it.
![]() |
| Buffet Lunch! - Galaxy S23+ |
I also asked my colleague (who's checking that internal opportunity) who went to Hong Kong for a business trip to help me get some Disneyland Plushies which he very nicely said yes to and I ended up with a Donald Duck for myself and a Lina Belle for the missus.
![]() |
| My Donald and The Missus' Lina Belle - Thanks Alvin - Galaxy S23+ |
Lastly I went for my San Dan grading just last Sunday. I failed the grading as expected, and I thought the grading Sensei's comments were all fair and spot on.
![]() |
| At The End Of Grading - Someone's iPhone I think |
I still remember very clearly till now: my basic movement (移動基本) lacked dynamics, they look fragmented; my kumite technique was too simple, he couldn't see any waza (技) in my movements; my kata (形).... I need to understand the application better.
![]() |
| My Other Kumite Clash Which Wasn't So Bad - Someone's iPhone Again |
I do not contest his remarks as I did feel my movements were sluggish during 移動基本. And during kumite, I lost my temper when I got kicked in the jaw and might have lost control a bit. As for my kata.... I could have a better answer for the application question I guess.... Oh well.... 6 months to prepare for the next grading.... Hopefully I'll get it next.
On a more positive note, I went for my diabetes control last Friday and got a clean bill of health. In fact my HB A1C dropped to 5.8% (still with medication) which is just 0.1% away from optimal condition. Whatever I'm doing right, I should keep it up.
Here's a closing shot for this month's entry and hoping for a better September ahead.
![]() |
| View From My Parents' MBS Room - Galaxy S23+ |
~ Photos Taken With Samsung Galaxy S23+; Except For Those Where I'm in The Picture ~











No comments:
Post a Comment