Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Chinese New Year 2017

This year we celebrated Chinese New Year in Jakarta.  It was a quick 4 days and 3 nights trip and again, I decided to stay in Pullman Central Park for its convenient location.

The flight was delayed by slightly over an hour in Singapore but the kids were in good spirit as always, if not, too loud at times.  

We were already waiting, but the plane still wasn't there yet - X-T2 + XF16mm F1.4R WR

As soon as we arrived, we set for my grandparents' house as we haven't met them in almost 2 years. Time has certainly caught up with them, especially my grandfather... He was sporting a swollen foot when we arrived.  Regardless, it was good seeing them..  After meeting them we set out for the hotel.  Along the way we stopped at nearby A1 to get some snacks since the kids were really hungry.  It was a prudent decision as the traffic was really bad in Grogol area and we had to spend quite some time in the traffic jam.  

Arriving in Pullman, we quickly put our things down.  I took a quick snap outside the window for this view of Jakarta - honestly I prefer the view overlooking Tribeca, unfortunately we got this view instead.  

View from our room - X-T2 + XF16mm F1.4R WR
Well, doesn't matter, nice view anyway.  Then we have to get some water and toiletries at Carrefour in Central Park and get a proper dinner.  

Central Park was decked out to welcome the new year for sure. 

Tribeca Central Park - X-T2 + XF16mm F1.4R WR
Inside, the mall is very nicely decorated too.  

Indoor palm trees decorated with LED lights and lanterns hanging from the ceiling - X-T2 + XF16mm F1.4R WR
We decided to have an Indonesian dinner at Kafe Betawi in the basement.  I wouldn't say it's fantastic, this branch is not as good as the one in Beachwalk Bali for sure, but at least we satisfied our craving for some Indonesian dishes.  

Mie Tek Tek - I still prefer the Surabaya version, although this is not bad - X-T2 + XF16mm F1.4R WR
After dinner we settled the groceries and checked back to Pullman for a good rest.     

Day 2 started with breakfast at Bakmi Aloi at nearby Greenville.  Mie Aloi originated from Palembang (where I was born).  I can vaguely remember eating at the original shop with my parents when I was just a boy. 

Inside Bakmi Aloi Greenville - LG G5

Menu - LG G5
And this is how a serving of the noodle look like. 

Bakmi Spesial Aloi - - X-T2 + XF16mm F1.4R WR
My mom would cook noodles like that too when I was still staying in Surabaya.

Actually right next to Bakmi Aloi is Bakmi Alok which is more crowded.  But I couldn't be bothered to wait as I didn't want to waste what little time I had for this trip.  Perhaps Bakmi Alok could be better than Bakmi Aloi, I would love to try it the next time I visit Jakarta.  

After lunch we went to Taman Anggrek.  My wife wanted to get her hair done so I had about 3 hours to spend with the kids.  We went to the bookshop, arcade, had doughnuts till it was time to go back.  Taman Anggrek hasn't changed much.  

A little Chinese themed bazaar in Taman Anggrek - X-T2 + XF16mm F1.4R WR
After wandering around we returned to Central Park and checked out nearby Neo Soho which was just recently completed.  The bridge connecting Central Park to Neo Soho looks absolutely spectacular at night, unfortunately I only have time to take photos of it during day time.  

The bridge from Central Park to Neo Soho - X-T2 + XF16mm F1.4R WR
We had to return quickly to the hotel to get ready for reunion dinner.  The atmosphere in Pullman was electric due to an on-going lion dance performance at the lobby.  The loud banging and clanging of the percussion scared away any traces of sleepiness in all of us for sure.   

Lion dance performance in Pullman lobby - LG G5
We then left for Sunter for the reunion dinner at Chung Hua restaurant.  The reunion dinner was crowded alright - we booked 3 tables just for our group consisting of my father and his 2nd sister's families along with my grandparents.  

It was a nice reunion dinner where I got to meet my cousins and their children.  

A family photo of my father and my aunt's families, it's so rare to have my own photo taken with my camera - X-T2 + XF16mm F1.4R WR
After dinner we had to go fetch my in-laws in Gambir train station.  After fetching them we went to Pecenongan where they had dinner and we bought the famous Martabak 65A.  

Martabak 65A - LG G5
It is always a joy to eat sweet martabak whenever we go back to Indonesia.

Martabak 65A uses high quality Wisjman butter which is very smooth and fragrant.  That's a large amount the chef is spreading there! - LG G5
Left - Toblerone and cheese topping; Middle - Chocolate sprinkles; Right - grated cheese - LG G5
All toppings are again topped with lots of condensed milk - LG G5
As you can see above, this is not a treat you should have very often.  It is very high in fat, carbs and sugar.  My tolerance for this dessert has decreased, I can only finish 2 to 3 pieces at a time, unlike last time when I could have 6 to 8!  

After getting our martabak, we returned to Pullman and called it a day.  

Day 3 started with new year greetings to my parents first.  After that we headed to my grandparents' house.  Once we were done, I and my wife went for a short date in Taman Anggrek again - we used to date here before we got married.  

Before returning to the hotel to end the date, we had some dessert at Sumo Boo, definitely not worth coming back.....  But at least we relived some fond memories we had here when were still dating. 

It looks cute... just that really...  the taste is nothing to hoot about - LG G5
Soon after we were waiting to fetch my brother-in-law in Gambir again, then headed for dinner near Sawah Besar.  We settled very late that night...   

Pullman's modern lobby, snapped this while I was waiting there - LG G5
On Sunday, it was time to return to Singapore.  Before checking out, I snapped a photo of this quirky statue which scared the kids quite a bit. 

I call this the "Pullman Legs" - LG G5
We had a short but enjoyable time I guess.  How I wish we could have stayed longer in Jakarta.

~ Photos taken with Fujifilm X-T2 + XF16mmF1.4R WR and LG G5~

No comments:

Post a Comment