Sunday, April 1, 2018

Another Trip to Batam

Sometime in March I traveled to Batam again for more photography.  This time, its more towards food photography.  Besides it was March term break for Lincoln so I thought bringing him and Lindsay will be a good break from the monotony.

Already Queuing to Board The Ferry, 20 Minutes Before Departure - RX100 Mk 3

And we arrived at the hot and ever changing Harbour Bay complex.

Another new building popped up since my last trip in Oct 2017 - RX100 Mk3
When I arrived, we went for a quick lunch and then bought some stuffs for the kids to get them occupied while I had some discussions with my wife and the hotel staff at Batam Harbour Boutique Hotel (www.batamharbour.biz) - that's where we stayed.  During discussion we snacked on some yummy fried rice.

Red side with chili, white side just garlic & soy sauce - RX100 Mk3
Then we had massage and then it was time to go for dinner with the kids in Nagoya Hill mall.

On the following day, I met up with an old friend over breakfast in Penuin market.  It was a good meet up as we hadn't met in a long while.  He's doing very well now, got his own business and definitely doing much better than last time I left Batam.

Inside Penuin Wet Market - RX100 Mk3
This plate of fried kway teow may not be much to look at, but it tastes damn delicious, just as I remembered it - RX100 Mk3
After breakfast and a visit to his house, I returned to the hotel and it was time to take some photos.  I had some trouble getting it right as I rarely take food photos, and as I was using an ultra wide angle lens, I had to make sure I controlled the distortion on the edges correctly.  The results weren't bad.  I tried using flatlay and some angles to show the height of the food.

One of the flat lays - X-T2 + XF10-24mm F4
Sometimes side view can give another appetizing angle - X-T2 + XF10-24mm F4
Nailing drinks is much easier - X-T2 + XF10-24mm F4
Day 2 ended quite well, I got a feel of how the decorations should be like and a better grasp of the accessories to use.

On Day 3, I took a walk at the hotel's rooftop spa for a quick look & see.  Took a nice photo too for the gallery.

And then it was off for breakfast at another old haunt, Bakmi Harum.

Bakmi Harum, tastes the same as I remembered it, I really love it....  - Samsung A8+
After breakfast, we headed back to the hotel as I had to renew my driving license so I went to the traffic police centre.  As soon as I was back from the traffic police centre, it was time for round 2 of the food photography session.  This time things ran faster than the previous day.

Martabak Yummy!  - X-T2 + XF10-24mm F4
Putu Ayu, Pisang Goreng & Pisang Bakar - X-T2 + XF10-24mm F4
Go bananas with grilled bananas or fried bananas - X-T2 + XF10-24mm F4
After we were done, it was time to go home.  I had a lot of photos to review and edit.

Here's a closing shot for this entry:

Day 1 lunch at Restoran Sederhana Jodoh, our favourite Padang Restaurant - RX100 Mk3
~Photos taken with X-T2 + XF10-24mm F4, RX100 Mk3, Samsung Galaxy A8+~

No comments:

Post a Comment