Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Bali Holiday 2019 - Day 4

Day 4 was our last day in Padma Resort Ubud.  We had planned to checkout at 12 pm and transfer to Novotel Benoa near Nusa Dua.  Our package with Padma came with a complimentary transfer which we happily utilized for the transfer to Novotel Benoa.  Unfortunately the Novotel Benoa stay was going to abysmal, which I will elaborate on later.    

Before leaving Padma, the kids had one last chance to visit the Animal Garden which we did right after breakfast.  Lincoln & Lindsay really had a great time feeding the rabbits, guinea pigs, Kimi & Kumi and the pigeons.  

Linc & Lind Feeding Rabbits in Padma Ubud's Animal Garden - A7R2 + Batis 2/25
The Animal Garden attendant Mas Fiska was very friendly and accommodating to the kids.  It was such an enjoyable moment for us all, myself included.  😁

Linc & Lind Feeding Kimi & Kumi One Last Time - A7R2 + Batis 2/25
Mas Fiska & Lincoln Feeding The Pigeons - A7R2 + Batis 2/25

Not long after, it was time to pack up and leave for Novotel Benoa.  The journey from Ubud to Benoa would take us about 2 hours.  

On arrival in Novotel Benoa, everything looked quite normal although I noticed that the Resort looked somewhat dull and tired.  The restaurant was not in operation and just dark, no lighting at all.   After checking in, we were brought to our villa which was at the extreme end of the complex's right wing.  


Entrance to Our Decrepit Villa....  - Galaxy Note 9


Our Villa in Novotel Benoa - A7R2 + Batis 2/25

I was firstly surprised that the door to our villa seemed to be in need of repairs - the left side was really hard to open.  Even the fountain at the entrance was not working.  And to top it off, plenty of mosquitoes around.  I was rather dismayed but kept my reactions to myself to avoid disappointing the kids and the missus.  

FYI, the missus was already very displeased when she learned that I decided on Novotel Benoa and I was pretty sure then, that she must have been very disappointed as well.  Novotel Benoa just couldn’t compare to Padma Resort Ubud.    

After a quick late lunch, the missus and I explored the resort while the kids remained in the villa.  Before we left the villa, I sprayed mosquito killer as the villa was swarmed by those pesky bloodsuckers.  As we went around I couldn’t help but notice that Novotel Benoa is an ageing resort.  I could see some villas sporting patched repairs.  The beach was not very clean and the main swimming pool had dead foliage floating around.  I couldn't help but think the resort is a shadow of its former self.  

After checking the activities in the Kids’ Club, we returned to our villa.  When the missus and I arrived at our villa, I was really shocked to find a variety of dead insects (other than the intended mosquitoes) sprawled around after the effects of the mosquito spray. 

Bugs in Our Villa - Galaxy Note 9
From ones that look like tiny silver worms to what look like common brown bugs, I was totally grossed out and asked for a villa change which Novotel agreed to after sending a staff to verify my complaint.  We were then moved to another villa.  As it was near dinner time we left for Kuta and for safety sake, I sprayed the mosquito killer again for good measure.  

We headed to Papa’s Limoncello in Kuta beach for dinner and tried to forget the distasteful episode earlier.  The kids were joyful as always, as they were unaware of the bug crisis, however I couldn’t take my mind off the incident and didn’t really enjoy the dinner.  


Lindsay Waiting For Her Pizza - A7R2 + Batis 2/25
After dinner we went to Surfer Girl Legian and ended up getting stuck there as it rained heavily before we completed shopping for swimming gears.  


Surfer Girl Legian - A7R2 + Batis 2/25
The Surfer Girl Herself - A7R2 + Batis 2/25


It was already quite late by then so we hopped on a taxi back to Novotel and arrived just slightly after 10.

The moment we stepped into our villa, I immediately combed the room thoroughly one more time for bugs and insects.  True enough, I found some reeling from the after effects of the bug spray. 


Bugs Again in The 2nd Villa - Galaxy Note 9
I thought they couldn’t be just confined to the walls and furniture so I decided to check the beds as well.  I was proven right once again when I discovered a few tiny bugs scurrying around the pillows and bed. 



By that time I’ve really had it.  There’s just so much I can take and I couldn’t take no more.  I decided that the "5 star" establishment was not fit for lodging at all and checked out immediately as soon as we found an eleventh hour replacement.  I asked for a refund for the next 2 nights’ stay and got us a taxi.  That was the first time ever I had to change hotels without even completing a night's stay.  I just wanted out, SOON!!!   

We took refuge at The Apurva Kempinski which is further south in Nusa Dua, about 15 minutes away from Benoa. 

When we arrived at Kempinski, we were immediately awed by the size and grandeur of the establishment.  As we arrived past midnight and all tired, I didn’t really pay attention to other details at that moment.  I just wanted to bathe and sleep.  

Kempinski offered a much needed sanctuary from the run down and dilapidated Novotel Benoa. I slept well that night knowing that no bugs would be running all over me and my family.  The Novotel Benoa episode would serve to be the only blemish in this otherwise perfect holiday.  

Here's a closing shot for this entry: 

The Missus Bidding Padma Resort Ubud Goodbye - A7R2 + Batis 2/25
~ Photos taken with Sony A7R Mark 2 + Batis 2/25 and Samsung Galaxy Note 9 ~
~ Videos taken with Sony A7R Mark 2 + Batis 2/25 and DJI Osmo Mobile 2 + Samsung Galaxy Note 9~

No comments:

Post a Comment