November is "the" month of a novel new beginning for me. After 8 years and 9 months of working for "K" Line Pte Ltd, I finally left the company - which I should probably have done 3 years ago. But through the graces of the forces that may be, I had remained with "K" Line and rode through the worst period of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the time to disembark from this lengthy voyage has finally come this month. And yes, I paid my dues already with the various projects I delivered during the pandemic. As I left this month, I have just completed an e-claims project for the company too. I left many good ex-colleagues and collaborators who have generously contributed to my development in "K" Line while at the same time I excitedly look forward to the new journey that I will be undertaking with the new company.
Going Up From Starbucks Guoco Tower One Last Time - Galaxy Note 9
When I went back to office for the first visit to clear up my stuff, I couldn't help but reminisce the times I had spent with my ex-colleagues.
Took a Last Good Look at AXA Tower & International Plaza - Galaxy Note 9
And on my last day, as I took my final step out of the office, I couldn't help but let a bittersweet feeling just wash over me. I remember clearly the last faces that were in office on that day as they handled my offboarding.
My Very Last Look at "K" Line - Galaxy Note 9
As I start my new journey with the new company, I can't help but be afraid. The new company I'm joining is a 7-year old start-up specialising in the Travel business. I know... "pandemic" and "travel" don't go hand-in-hand. In fact, last year they had a retrenchment exercise. However, as the global vaccination rate increases and the pandemic situation improved, they decided to expand again. I am now just starting my 2nd week with them. The 1st week was mentally exhausting; adjusting to a new corporate culture, new colleagues, getting up to speed with the company's practices and operating procedures, not to mention the tasks that were immediately assigned to me. I was surprised at how fast I have to pick up my pace here. And I'm constantly fearful of the younger colleagues who are smarter, highly specialised and definitely more aggressive than my ex-colleagues in "K" Line. It is a very risky, extremely transparent, neck break speed, no borders and highly collaborative evironment which require high capacities for learning and adaptability.
New War Desk, Ver.1.0 - RX100 Mk3
In one of my sleepless nights last week, as I pondered how I will fare in my new company, I came across this Instagram post: "Dont be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin".
We Live to Fight Another Day - Instagram Screenshot
The words really struck me. I could continue working in "K" Line doing what I'm already doing best and never grow, while suffering the lack of acknowledgement and appreciation, or I could venture out and learn new things, improve and grow in strides. After all, nothing grows in the comfort zone. Those words, which I later learned to have been said by Henry David Thoreau, really lent me strength as I face my new challenges. I keep on reminding myself, that this is what I have always wanted, back from the days I was in "K" Line. And no matter how tough the challenges are, I take comfort in knowing that the trials and tribulations I face here will prepare me for the things I wish for later in life.
The Journey Will be Stormy, But The Sky Is Best After The Rain - Galaxy Note 9
On one of the November weekends, I brought the kids to Wildseed at Alkaff Mansion. It was their first trip to Wildseed which they really enjoyed.
Lovely Interior - Galaxy Note 9
Glamping in Telok Blangah Park - Galaxy Note 9
Before I started my role with the new company, I had a short 3-day break. One of those days was the kids' last day of school. We spent some wonderful time in Orchard Road, visiting Wild Honey at Scotts Square.
It's Been Such a Long Time Since I Walked This Way - Galaxy Note 9
Nice Cappuccino - Galaxy Note 9
Eggs Benny In Prosciutto Ham - Galaxy Note 9
Linc' Hashed & Corned Beef - Galaxy Note 9
The wonderful brunch was followed by a dessert run at Flipper's Takashimaya.
Fruity Pancake in Flipper - Galaxy Note 9
Mango For Linc - Galaxy Note 9
I have also been gaming more intensely this month with ACNH, especially after the version 2.0.0 update. The game couldn't have been more enjoyable, especially when I play with Lindsay, visiting each other's islands.
Lindsay & Me - ACNH
Tom & Isabelle - ACNH
I also stumbled upon an old photo that I took when I just started my photography journey. It is an old photo of Tiong Bahru Plaza with the still empty Boon Tiong field then. You could see my amateurish attempt where some areas were overly exposed.
Old Tiong Bahru - D90 + Tokina 11-16mm F2.8
I'm just into the 2nd week of my probation period and the road ahead is still long. I really have to put my best foot forward and catch up with these youngsters to prove my mettle. It is a journey that I must win.
Here's looking forward to a great future ahead.
Lovely Sunny Alexandra - RX100 Mk3
~ Photos Taken With Samsung Galaxy Note 9; Sony RX100 Mk3; Nikon D90 + Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 ~
No comments:
Post a Comment