In less than half an hour, 2023 will come to an end. This December has been delightful for a number of reasons, the main one being that I spent the first 2 weeks of the month on my Japan vacation. It is a long overdue vacation since 2019, so I made sure to make this trip well it's worth. We travelled across Tokyo, Kawaguchiko, Kyoto, Osaka & Karuizawa before finally ending the trip with a bang in Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disneysea.
 |
| Waiting to Board Our Flight - Galaxy S23+ |
Myself, the missus and the kiddos had so many amazing memories from this trip as it was the first time we took a ride on Shinkansen, visited amazing temples such as Arakurayama Sengen, Fushimi Inari and Kiyomizu Dera, checking some of the items in my bucket list of taking iconic photos from these amazing places.
 |
| Arakurayama Sengen Shrine - A7RMk3 + FE24mm F1.4 GM |
 |
| Little Shrine in Fushimi Inari - A7RMk3 + FE24mm F1.4 GM |
 |
| Kiyomizu Dera - A7RMk3 + FE24mm F1.4 GM |
The trip to Kyoto was exceptionally memorable, I felt like I haven't visited Kyoto enough. Kyoto was absolutely beautiful and charming. The pace and vibrancy of the city felt different from Tokyo which really felt packed and fast.
 |
| A Classic Barbershop Near Our Hotel in Mercure Kyoto - Galaxy S23+ |
Kawaguchiko was a charming quiet little town too with magnificent views of Mount Fuji. We had the most wonderful time in Kawaguchiko as it was the first real stop of our multi city whirlwind tour.
 |
| View From The Panoramic Ropeway Station - A7RMk3 + FE24mm F1.4 GM |
We also had a good time in Osaka where we visited Dotonbori and Universal Studios Japan. Forget about Harry Potter, Super Nintendo World in Osaka is the best place in the Park for sure.
 |
| Dotonbori at Night - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
| Super Nintendo World USJ - Galaxy S23+ |
From Osaka we headed to Karuizawa for a recharge in an absolutely stunning cottage hotel, The Karuizawa Prince East.
 |
| Shinkansen Ride From Tokyo to Karuizawa - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
| Beautiful View of The Ski Slope and The Shopping Area - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
| Christmas Illumination - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
| Last Day in Karuizawa - Galaxy S23+ |
From Karuizawa we returned to metropolitan Tokyo and immersed ourselves in the busy atmosphere of the thriving city which was packed elbow-to-elbow.
 |
A Very Packed Asakusa - Galaxy S23+
|
 |
| Roppongi Hills Keyakizaka Dori Winter Illumination - A7RMk3 + FE24mm F1.4 GM |
I also had a chance to visit my former boss back in "K" Line. He has really aged from the last time I saw him back in 2019, but he seemed to have come to terms with how things have turned out for him. Apparently he's also in ONE now. In any case, I was very happy to see him keeping well and healthy after all these years. I sincerely wish he will remain happy and healthy always for many more years to come.
 |
| Favourite Snack in Ikspiari Near Disneyland - Galaxy S23+ |
And as we ended our exploration of metropolitan Tokyo, we finally left for Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disneysea.
 |
The Amazing Tokyo Disneyland Hotel - Galaxy S23+
|
 |
| Me & Uncle Scrooge - The Missus' iPhone 13 |
Tokyo Disneysea was a first for me. I was really taken away by the beautiful European vibes of the park which channelled an awesome Italian and Venetian atmosphere. On the other side of the park we experienced the American flair in the form of an old cruise ship, ports, a haunted hotel and river cruises. We didn't have a chance to cover all grounds in both parks, so I'll make sure we'll visit them on our next trip for sure.
 |
| Uncle Scrooge's Store? It Can't be More Befitting - A7RMk3 + FE24mm F1.4 GM |
It was a holiday that felt way too short for sure, although I was certain my wallet disagreed. 😓😓😓
Back from the holiday, it was time to face the music at work where an inbox of almost 1.2k emails awaited. I took 3 days to bring the number down to about 100, including the new incoming ones and still had to make time for UAT for a sprint release. On that week I also had my first mentoring session with a Deputy General Manager from the Global Vessel Operations department. It was an interesting 1st session, I kind of wonder how the 2nd one will go.
Not so coincidentally, it was time to visit Batam to check on the staff. This time my mom came along on the trip.
 |
| Ferry Ride to Batam - Galaxy S21 FE |
As I wanted to know how we fare against the competitors, I chose to stay in Four Points in Jodoh. While the staff was super good and the breakfast spread was awesome, the room comfort was terrible as noise insulation in the property is very poor. We could hear noises from the corridor clearly as well as TV noise from neighbouring rooms which really disturbed our sleep and comfort.
 |
| View From Level 12, The Highest I've Ever Been Thus Far - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
| Another Side of Batam - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
| 2nd Hand Market Next to The Hotel - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
Four Points Lobby - Galaxy S23+
|
 |
| Chilli Anyone? - Galaxy S23+ |
I also had lengthy discussions with the key staff of the hotel to discuss the progress of our activities from the past month as well as what's to come next.
 |
| In Magna Again - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
| Nice Hot Chocolate - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
| Kiddos Waiting For Us During Meeting - Galaxy S23+ |
And finally, things were somewhat quiet in the last week of the year. Although I had to deal with the occassional "taichi" from the boss to handle some of the A**hole's tasks, things are otherwise pleasantly manageable.
I also met with an old friend from JC who used to teach Lincoln math for a while. I was shocked to hear that his mother has just passed away last month due to cancer and stroke. Otherwise, he seems to be keeping well which I hope will remain that way for a long time to come.
 |
| Last Training For 2023, On The 31st No Less - Galaxy S23+ |
As 2023 comes to a close, I'm grateful for the good things that have happened and also thankful for the bad ones, from where I could reflect, learn and become better. I am grateful for everything that I have today. As I look towards the new year, I hope that 2024 will be a much kinder year to me.
Here's a closing shot for this eleventh hour entry for 2023:
 |
| Linc and Lind Outside The Iconic Lawson Kawaguchiko - Galaxy S23+ |
~ Samsung Galaxy S23+, iPhone 13, Samsung Galaxy S21 FE, Sony A7RMk3 + FE24mm F1.4 GM ~
No comments:
Post a Comment