Monday, February 26, 2024

Farcical February

This month has been a lot of things.  Chinese New Year, Lindsay's birthday, my wedding anniversary, an old hand returning to deck at work and yet still no change to my working conditions...... Where the f*ck should I start....

So there's Chinese New Year..  this year we travelled all the way to Klaten via Yogyakarta on the first day of Chinese New Year, right after reunion dinner on the night prior.  I dreaded the flight in the packed and cramped Air Asia jet, and true enough, I panicked moments after boarding when I saw people streaming in and filling up the seats one by one, I felt boxed in and my heart started racing until I had to take a 5 mg Xanax pill which I fortunately had prepared along with 2 cans of mints.  I really hated that flight, no way I'm going to fly on Air Asia again for sure.  The thing that I really hate about this is how my wife is taking my panic attack very lightly, just saying "I have to resist it".  If only resisting is as easy as her words...  Ironically, I made this trip only at her behest and yet I can't help but feel neglected by her and even frustrated by her lack of empathy.

Onboard The Claustrophobic Air Asia Flight, After I Took My Xanax - Galaxy S23+

In Yogyakarta, it was a tiring trip on the road.   We spent many hours on the car.  It was not an ideal situation for me as I was still struggling with my panic attack although the Xanax did it's job for the next 48 hours.  

On Arrival at Yogyakarta International Airport - Galaxy S23+

Almost 2 Hour Car Ride to The City - Galaxy S23+

First night accommodation was good, in Amaranta Prambanan with spacious rooms which reminds me of Batam Harbour Hotel.  Clearly, this is an inspiration for Batam Harbour's own renovations later on.

Spacious Room - Galaxy S23+

Night View From Our room - Galaxy S23+

Daytime View From The Restaurant - Galaxy S23+

And The Restaurant Itself - Galaxy S21FE

In the afternoon we left for a very crowded gathering in a restaurant owned by my wife's cousins.

Preparing For Group Photo - Galaxy S23+

Getting Ready to Leave - Galaxy S23+

After that, we took a 2 hour car ride towards the airport where we checked into the airport hotel Cordia where I was very concerned if I could get another panic attack as the rooms were tiny and the windows simply opened up to a dark corridor instead of the outdoors.  

Our Tiny Room in Cordia - Galaxy S21FE

Fortunately it was just a short stay before we returned to Singapore on the following morning onboard Scoot. 

Early Morning in The Airport - Galaxy S23+

Waiting to Board Our Flight - Galaxy S23+

A Dead Bird in The Boarding Gate - Galaxy S23+

I was particularly taken aback to find a dead bird inside the boarding gate of Yogyakarta International Airport.  I picked up the bird after wrapping it in tissue and put it amongst some plants in the planter.  Hopefully someone will find it and dispose of it properly.

This month Lindsay also started English tuition in faraway Bukit Timah.  It is not a pleasant ride all the way to the North West, but at least for now it makes for a good opportunity to explore the area.  On one weekend I explored Lorong Kilat and discovered numerous fancy cafes and Korean restaurants that I think are worth a visit for sure.  

Just Strolling Along Lorong Kilat - Galaxy S23+

Looks Like a Nice Place For Waffles - Galaxy S23+

An Authentic Korean Restaurant... I Think... - Galaxy S23+

Ice Cream and Salted Caramel - Galaxy S23+

Along Jalan Anak Bukit - Galaxy S23+

And on the following week I finally visited Carpenter & Cook with the missus and Linc.  I think that will be my first and last visit.  The price is definitely not justifiable...   

Our Grub in Carpenter & Cook; Too Pricey... - Galaxy S23+

Anyway, still in Chinese New Year celebration mood, there was a grand buffet in the office where I let myself loose and caved in to the delicious dry laksa and Nonya beehoon.  

My First Serving - Galaxy S23+

Back For Seconds - Galaxy S23+

And I also spent $10 for a "lion" to bless my desk, with hopes that this will be a good year at work.  

My Offering For The Lion - Galaxy S23+

And There's The Lion Blessing My Desk - Galaxy S23+

The Aftermath of The Lion's Blessings - Galaxy S23+

Just last Saturday I had a walk with the missus all the way to Esplanade and logged a good 15k steps in that session.  

Before Reaching Esplanade - Galaxy S23+

Just Looking at The Skyscrapers - Galaxy S23+

Work has been unforgiving as usual.  This week I registered 24.5 hours of meeting.  Like what the f*ck is this...  I have things to do and and 52% of my time is spent just on meetings??   We also have an old hand returning today to the very same department she left almost 2 years ago.  Her return has changed the dynamics of the team as I see lines being drawn and silos getting created.  My team mate who's more sympathetic to my work activities is unfortunately getting transferred to another team.  So her arrival does not change anything for me.  I'm really frustrated with this nonsense.  This department is clearly messed up and only strengthen my resolve to look for a transfer as soon as I'm eligible.

And just earlier today, I've really had it with Lincoln's nonchalance at his Chinese lessons.  Not only he didn't bother studying for 听写, he slept through the afternoon and only left the house 15 minutes before the start of his class.  I've really had enough of this and I'm strongly considering withdrawing him from the learning centre.  It's clear to me he has made his choice and I will not bear the costs of this choice anymore.  Right now I'm strongly considering not bringing him on our year end Japan holiday.  I've really had it with him.

On a more positive note I have also purchased 2 Japanese books last weekend, I really want to brush up on my Japanese.  It's a skill that I don't want to lose.  

Brushing Up On My Japanese With Snoopy - Galaxy S23+

Seems like I will be returning to Kinokuniya during the March holidays for more fun Japanese books.

And of course, it's Lindsay's birthday month.  

She's Finally 11 Now - RX100Mk3

I haven't got a chance to get her a proper present.  I've been wanting to go to UOB and get a gold bar or gold coin as her present.  I should find some time during the March holidays to do that.

Last Friday I just came back from a visit to my endocrinology specialist.  My A1C has remained constant at 6.1%, however the 14 days reading indicated it was climbing to 6.4%.  I have also gained 2 Kg although my cholestrol was apparently very good.  It was kind of a mixed visit I gues...  I have to get back on track for sure.

There are times when I wish I could just get a shortcut and be liberated from my work and life pressures...  Stupid politicking bosses and colleagues, nonsense business decisions, long hours, endless meetings instead of doing things, children who don't give a f*ck about what they should be doing or even the troubles their parents go to so that they can live comfortably.  I feel tired...     

Here's a closing shot for this month's entry: 

Just Another Forecast Which I Hope Would Come True - Galaxy S23+

~ Photos Taken With Samsung Galaxy S21 FE, S23+ & Sony RX100 Mk3 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment