Got myself an ASUS RT-AC88U router as my main router to replace my (close to) 2 years old D-Link DIR-868L. It's not a bad router but when having more devices connected in the house, having faster speed is not such a bad thing: AC3100 vs. AC1750.
So far I've been getting by with that DIR-868L and a DAP 1665, which at AC1200 is really slow when I have many devices turned on at the same time.
My plan is to use the RT-AC88U as my main router and turn the DIR-868L into an Access Point. It will be a very powerful access point at AC1750 with 6 internal antenna and smartbeam technology.
First phase is of course to install the main router which is really a piece of cake:
![]() |
| RT-AC88U after installation |
After that is done, I pulled a LAN cable from the RT-AC88U and connected it to the DIR-868L which is placed at a busy intersection - this is the point from where I have most of my devices connected.
![]() |
| The DIR-868L at the busy intersection |
I know that doesn't look pretty, but that's about as best I can do with the router's tube shape.... I'd like to place it on top of something, but I really don't know what at the moment.
To configure the DIR-868L into an access point is as simple as doing the following:
1. Choose wireless AP mode if you have it, otherwise just skip this step
2. Turn off all WAN capabilities and port forwarding, DHCP
3. Set a static address to this router which is in the same host network, e.g. if your main router address is 192.168.x.1, then set this router you're turning into an AP to have 192.168.x.#, where "#" is a number that is not used by any other devices in your network
4. Connect the LAN cable from the main router to any of the LAN ports in the AP router, not the Internet LAN port
After all that is done, I now have an extremely powerful AP in the house.
Another thing I setup with the RT-AC88U was the Ai Cloud. It's my very own personal cloud storage. It's not that I need cloud storage because my handphone and the kids' tablet have expandable storage. But it could come in handy in case my wife needs extra storage since she's using iPhone. So I attached a spare 16GB flash disk to the router and configured it as a personal cloud. As a side note, I'd only use this when I have wi-fi otherwise I'll end up with very high telco bill due to data usage...
![]() |
| 16GB flash disk acting as personal cloud |
The user interface is spartan at best but fully functional without fault. So far I have not encountered any problems with it.
![]() |
| The Asus AiCloud's Interface |
No closing shots this time, next post I guess, nothing interesting to show.
~ Photos taken with LG G5 ~




No comments:
Post a Comment