April has mostly been difficult. I think the biggest thing that happened this month is that the missus got let go by her company just this Monday. It took a while for her to process the news and I did my best to comfort her. Just earlier this afternoon we went to her office to clean up her cubicle.
 |
| Me and Lindsay Cleaning The Missus' Cubicle - iPhone 13 |
However I told her that this may be a sign that we need to focus our efforts in Batam more than ever. Right after she got the news, she went to Guan Yin temple for divination, and when she asked about going to Batam the result came out very good. Hence I really think of this as another door opening when one closes.
 |
| The Missus' Cleaned up Cubicle - iPhone 13 |
Of course, for now we'll have to deal with a drop of 38% in the household monthly income. This puts a dent in our year end holiday plan, but I think it's important to make her feel "Relevant" and useful. I've ordered a Macbook Air through Mr. Apple Guy for the missus, so that she has something portable she can use while working in Batam. I'm planning this as a surprise, hoping it will lift up her spirits too.
As for me, work is a combination of little joys and tough trying times. I received my bonus this month, which is not bad, all things considered. However, work is really picking up on the stupid SAP and Service Cloud integration project. I finally completed a set of UAT scripts, despite knowing how the system will work only in theory. The practical side of my scripts are still highly questionable at this moment as the development team members are still working hard on the system, even working overtime on weekdays and putting hours on their leave days and weekends.
My two other team members are working actively even after work hours and on weekends. They have just returned from a trip to Vietnam to groom the requirements with the developers. I don't know what are they promised with, if any, which I am no part of, or if they just don't have a life, which, sorry, that's their problem, but I'm not going to put more than I already have now. To date, I still refuse to pick up more work related to this f💣c💀ed up project as I insist that not only my BAU is taking up my capacity but also, I'm questioning why must we launch at this point in time when the project has so many uncertainties and risks from the other 2 products we are integrating with. And I'm also extremely pisssed off to learn that the request for an additional headcount has been rejected by the new boss. This means I'll still have to work on Sundays..... Although last week I only worked for half an hour while this week I made sure to skip working on Sunday. I've had enough of this nonsense really...
 |
| My Special Dish Kimchi Soup - Galaxy S23+ |
So far I've been sending out applications, though I'm pretty sure none will call back...... Deep inside I'm quite reluctant to move too, I like working in ONE; I know most of the people here, there's free food once a week and a great cafe serving free coffee, hybrid work and all that. I just really hate the team and the politicking assholes in the department I'm currently in. However, internal transfer opportunity is almost none considering the current vacancies as well as bad market condition which means people are less likely to leave ONE, added with the likelihood that I will have to remain till the next fiscal year before I can effectively work in a new department should my transfer request be successful, I feel the strong push to consider looking outwards...
Sometimes I wonder just how true the Chinese astrology forecasts are saying this year is good for my career. I see myself at the bottom of the food chain in my current team, very hard to transfer to another department, bad market condition which makes it unlikely for me to get a new job elsewhere...
 |
| Waiting For Lindsay in Bukit Timah Shopping Centre - Galaxy S23+ |
Moving on the other things in life... we visited The Signature Patisserie in Lorong Kilat and came to learn of a good brunch spot there.
 |
| Inside The Signature Patisserie - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
| My Dish.. I Forgot What It's Called - Galaxy S23+ |
However this week we returned to Flag White as Lindsay had asked for a truffle fries lunch, this time I tried the pork schnitzel in mushroom gravy which... is not so bad.
 |
| Pork Schnitzel in Flag White - Galaxy S23+ |
In office there was a Hari Raya special buffet catered by Sabar Menanti. And true to their namesake, we were made to wait for more than half an hour as they came in late. However, it was really worth the wait as the food was amazing.
 |
| Mine and a Colleague's Spread - Galaxy S23+ |
The weather this month has been extremely hot, which coupled with the humidity makes for untolerably hot days. There were days I had to switch on the air conditioner while working at home. And my electricity bill unsurprisingly ballooned to $400 which was quite a shock. The washing machine's drain motor pump also suddenly broke down and that might have contributed to the higher electricity cost as well as the machine had to run much longer. Fortunately my helper devised a clever workaround to drain the water from the front pump. Tomorrow the technician's coming to replace the pump (his 3rd visit). I hope it'll be resolved by then.
 |
| One of Those WFH Days - Galaxy S23+ |
For some strange reasons, I've started to get frequent nosebleeds too this month. It started one night when I had a stuffy nose and I was poking my right nostril to clear up the blockage, however I felt something pop and blood just started flowing. It took about 15 minutes for the mess to clear. From then on I've had about 6 nosebleed episodes 3 in office, 2 while asleep, and 1 while driving. I think I have to start taking some 田七 to alleviate the nosebleeds.
Our Batam visit this month was uneventful as usual. I sat down with the key staff members to address the recently completed building structural test, discussed how we are going to move forward with the results, dealt with some cash flow issues due to the Bintan team kept on "borrowing" our side of the case which to date amounted to 600 million Rupiah already with no plans to repay them.
 |
| Some Idul Fitri Bazaar in Grand Batam Mall - Galaxy S23+ |
 |
| Early Lunch at Ikan Bakar Cianjur - Galaxy S21 FE |
 |
| Going Back to Singapore - Galaxy S21 FE |
And I finally kickstarted the interior design upgrade too this month for the Grand Deluxe rooms. At the same time the Batam team is moving to upgrade their system, so the back office staff have been putting overtime for the past week to migrate the data from the old database to the new one.
The last happy thing that happened this month was when I got 3rd place in JKA Singapore's Senior Kata competition.
 |
| Waiting to Start - Galaxy S23+ |
I performed Heian Godan for the elimination round, followed by Jion. However as there was a 3 way tie, I had to perform another kata and I chose Nijushiho. I ended up with a score of 24.5/30 and obtained 3rd place. It was a close win as the 3rd person obtained 24.2 or 24.1... I can't remember.... Lincoln also joined, but he was eliminated in the 1st round. He kept on looking at his opponent while performing his kata and that costed him dearly.
 |
| Receiving My Trophy - iPhone 13 |
 |
| The Kata Competitors - iPhone 13 |
I really think that I won only by sheer power and not because of good technique. I have to work on my technique more as my 参段 grading is going to happen in end of August.
Yesterday I especially made a trip to Bugis Junction to get some Donald 90 toys. It was a spontaneous decision when I learned the toys were going to be on sale in Singapore. I ended up buying 4 boxes, but these 3 are my favourites.
 |
| My Donald 90 - Galaxy S23+ |
Anyway.... May is starting in just a few days' time. It will be a hard journey ahead till mid-July. I don't know what will happen next... I can only hope for the best for now.
 |
| Finally Got Another Tropy at Home - Galaxy S23+ |
~ Photos Taken With Samsung Galaxy S21FE, S23+ & The Missus' iPhone ~
No comments:
Post a Comment