Thursday, April 9, 2015

The First Shots With My (yes, mine!) 5D Mark II

I finally bought my 5D Mark II in end November 2009.  It was near year end bonus time, so I thought it would be the right time to make some space in my wallet.  I got the kit set that came with the EF 24-105mm F4L lens.  This camera would become one of those in my longest possesion, close to 4 good years.  

I was really excited with my new acquisition and practiced quite a lot.  These are some of my early shots with the camera. Within 2 weeks I had captured close to 1500 photos. 

They are not my best, but they are definitely some of my favourite first ones. 
Apartemen Mediterania Garden Tanjung Duren Jakarta; Taman Anggrek Mall Jakarta; Wheelock Place Singapore

At this time I always increased the saturation of my picture control to the max without realizing that it made the photos more red.  I was also manually setting the white balance.  You see, I was anti-photoshop then.  My goal was to produce the photos with the desired effects from the camera which often met with unsatisfactory results.


Jurong West market bread, Taman Anggrek Mall, Snowmen Outside Isetan and Changi Airport- clockwise order

I also didn't have a flash unit then as I couldn't afford to spend an additional $430 for speedlights. 

In early December I went to Jakarta for a best friend's wedding.  Boy, I was really unprepared....  I thought I would be able to get decent photos with my F4 kit lens and no flash.  Sure there were some decent shots, but most were really bad.


A decent shot I got of my friend and his lovely wife


It was still a learning journey with the new camera.  I will be posting more photos as I got to understand my 5D Mark 2 better.  Coming soon!



~ Photos taken with Canon 5D Mark 2 + EF 24-105mm F4L ~

No comments:

Post a Comment