Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Only XF Lens Worth Waiting For in 2015

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!  Fujifilm is going to release a Fujinon XF 16mm F1.4R in 2015!

Fujifilm XF Lens Road Map - From Fujifilm Website

This is a full frame equivalent of 24mm F1.4, which is my favourite focal length from my 5D days.  When I was still sporting my 5Ds (both M2 & 3), I only had the EF 24mm F1.4L II attached for most of the time.  This lens was such a sweet pleasure to use on the 5M3 as the AF speed was lightning fast, there's no way I could miss an important shot.  Only under certain situations and conditions, I would bring out the UWA 16-35mm F2.8L II or the EF 24-105mm F4L.

From my experience, 24mm in full frame format is the ideal focal length for travelling.  It is wide enough to shoot landscapes, good for portraits when you are close to the subject, and lightning fast with the aperture of 1.4.  But F1.4 on a full frame is different from F1.4 on a mirrorless APS-C after all.

I have just returned from a trip to Bali last week with my X-T1 and found it quite a hassle having to switch from 14mm F2.8 to 23mm F1.4 in certain situations due to lighting conditions.  While 16mm means an effective difference of 3mm from 14mm in full frame equivalent, its still quite acceptable for landscapes.  The AF speed on X-T1 will not (and never) be as fast as 5M3, but the convenience of this focal length coupled with the wide aperture are enough factors to want this lens.

I'll be keeping a tight watch for this lens and quite possibly the first in line when this comes out!  Yippee!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment