Sunday, July 5, 2015

5D Mark III

At About July 2012, I upgraded my 5D Mark 2 to 5D Mark 3.  Mark 3 is a great improvement over Mark 2 in terms of auto focus and perhaps dynamic range (although only marginal).  But the video quality and new auto focus are definitely the biggest draw of this great camera.

With lightning fast auto focus that is so dead accurate, there's no way I could have missed a good shot, unless if I had set the auto focus to "auto" and let the camera decide.  But with zone and single focus points, this camera is like an extremely deadly sniper rifle - fast and accurate.

The ISO performance has been greatly improved as well making it easier to take hand held night shots with natural lighting, but you still need a prime to get best result.

Interior of Marina Bay Sands Shoppes - 5DMIII + EF16-35mm F2.8 L II



Gardens by The Bay before sunset - 5DMIII + EF 16-35mm F2.8 L II
Same as above but different angle
Taking landscapes at ISO 200 seem to give the best dynamic range.  Most often I didn't have to do any lighting adjustments whenever taking photos in this ISO rate.

Gardens by The Bay Super Trees - 5DMIII + EF 16-35mm F2.8L II

Just like above
Same setting again as above
Still same setting but this one was taken hand held
The 5D Mark III was a joy to use.  My only disappointment was that the sensor did not do much on dynamic range.  But the new auto focus feature was the best highlight of this camera.

Although I have since sold the 5D Mark III I still have fond memories of this camera.  This is one of my favourite from Canon.  Unlike the new 5Ds or 5Dr which are like 50MP, I think that kind of resolution will take a toll on my laptop with its puny graphic card.  But 22 MP is still OK.

I had this camera for a good 3 years till early 2015 when I finally sold it along with the rest of my Canon gears  By that time I had a Fujifilm X-E2 and was impressed with the auto focus as well which has improved by leaps and bounds from X-Pro 1 and X-E1.  So I thought I should just learn to use Fuji system well since I really prefer to use Fujifilm anyway. 

I still highly recommend this camera to anyone interested in going full frame.

Here's a closing shot of Central Park Jakarta, taken from Pullman Hotel.  Hand held at ISO 10000 mind you.  ;)

Tribeca in Central Park Jakarta - 5DMIII + EF 24mm F1.4L II
~ Photos taken with 5D Mark 3 + EF 16-35mm F2.8L II, EF 24mm F1.4L II ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment