The missus lamented that I've always baked the same thing over and over again. So this time I tried a different flavour yet again for my next chiffon cake bake. I've always thought that chocolate and banana makes a good flavour combination and so that's what I baked this time around - chocolate banana chiffon cake. As usual, I went to check Diana's blog once again for reference.
Prior to this bake I had made a trip to Kenwood's service centre all the way in Jalan Pemimpin to acquire an extra set of beaters for my Chefette standing hand mixer, and man... those extra set of beaters are really worth the trouble. They get the job done in a short time with great results.
So as usual, I prepared all ingredients first after carefully measuring them, separating the eggs, etc.
![]() |
| All Ingredients Laid Out - Galaxy Note 9 |
Work started with beating team yellow's egg yolks, olive oil and sugar till light and fluffy. Once that was done, I mixed in the mashed bananas, vanilla extract and cocoa powder. I then continued to beat the mixture till it becomes homogeneous and set aside. And yeah, those new beaters really made a huge difference.
![]() |
| Team Yellow All In - Galaxy Note 9 |
After I was done with team yellow, it was time to make the meringue as usual.
![]() |
| Making Meringue - Galaxy Note 9 |
Once stiff peaks were formed, I stopped beating and folded the meringue into the yolk batter. I then mixed the batter till homogeneous again before pouring into the cake pan. I then spread some baked almonds and semi sweetened chocolate chips. Once done, I gave the pan a few good taps and ran a chopstick in the batter to remove any air bubbles.
![]() |
| Perfectly Mixed Batter - Galaxy Note 9 |
I then put the pan in the oven at 170℃ and baked for 70 minutes.
![]() |
| Starting to Bake - Galaxy Note 9 |
I really have to admit that the aroma that filled the house while the cake was baking was oh, so salivating. 😋😋😋😋
![]() |
| Rose Very Nicely - Galaxy Note 9 |
Recipe for a 23 cm chiffon cake pan
Team Yellow:
- 6 egg yolks
- 30 gr caster sugar
- 150 gr mashed bananas (use ripe ones with yellowish black skin otherwise you'll get some mild dry, acidic taste that you get when eating unripe fruit)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use Whittington Natural Vanilla Extract - Double Strength)
- 50 gr cocoa powder (if you use Dutch Processed, colour will be darker)
- 50 gr baked almonds
- 50 gr semi sweet chocolate chips (I use Hershey's)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use Whittington Natural Vanilla Extract - Double Strength)
- 50 gr cocoa powder (if you use Dutch Processed, colour will be darker)
- 50 gr baked almonds
- 50 gr semi sweet chocolate chips (I use Hershey's)
- 50 ml olive oil
- 95 gr cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Team White:
- 6 egg whites
- 90 gr caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Method:
1. Preheat oven to 170℃.
2. Team Yellow: Beat egg yolks, olive oil & sugar till well incorporated and batter turns light and fluffy. Mix in the mashed banana, vanilla extract and cocoa powder. Beat again till well combined.
3. Team Yellow: Mix in the flour, salt & baking powder and beat till well incorporated.
4. Team White: Beat egg whites till foamy. Gradually add sugar and cream of tartar till stiff peaks formed. Set aside.
5. Take a third of the meringue and fold into Team Yellow, mix till homogeneous. Pour in the almonds & chocolate chip as well as the rest of Team White to Team Yellow and fold well.
6. Pour mixed batter into chiffon cake tube pan, tap pan on table surface a few times to remove large air bubbles. Run through a chopstick in the batter a few times to remove smaller air bubbles.
7. Bake in oven at 170℃ for 70 minutes.
8. Once done, take cake out to cool by inverting the pan.
9. Remove from pan after cake has cooled down completely.
And here's a closing shot for this entry:
![]() |
| Yummy - Galaxy Note 9 |
~ Photos taken with Samsung Galaxy Note 9 ~







No comments:
Post a Comment