Monday, October 21, 2019

Pandan Almond Cheese Chiffon Cake

I had a quick bake yesterday.  As I really missed pandan, I decided to bake a pandan almond Cheese chiffon cake to break away from the monotony.  

This time instead of using the slow juicer, I decided to go old school by the good old blender followed by straining.  I added some water to start the blender.  After there were some liquid formed, I added in the coconut cream milk - next time I should try adding coconut oil instead, I wonder how it will turn out.  Pandan leaves absorb water like sponge absorbs water so don't be surprised if 100 gr of pandan leaves yield very tiny amount of pandan juice.  

Blending Pandan & Water - Galaxy Note 9

So after all the pandan leaves have been turned to pulp, I strained them to get more juice out.  I really love how this time I can get more green colour out.  This means my cake won't turn out so pale.  The more I work with pandan, the better I understand how to use them for baking.

Straining The Blended Pandan Pulp - Galaxy Note 9
Then I got all the ingredients ready before starting the bake.  

All I Needed For The Bake - Galaxy Note 9
Next step was to beat the yolks and sugar till pale and fluffy.  

6 Yolks & 90 Grams of Sugar to Beat - Galaxy Note 9
Light & Fluffy Consistency - Galaxy Note 9
Then I added in the oil and the pandan juice and the whole mixture turned into a beautiful vivid green.  

Oh Yes, That Green Looks Rite - Galaxy Note 9
Once the yolk mixture (Team Yellow) was done, it was time to make the meringue.

Making Meringue - Galaxy Note 9
Team Yellow All Ready - Galaxy Note 9
Once the meringue was ready, fold into Team Yellow, pour into the baking pan and bake at 170ᐤ C for 75 minutes.  

In You Go - Galaxy Note 9
Rising Very Nicely - Galaxy Note 9
Recipe for a 23 cm chiffon cake tube pan:

Team Yellow: 
- 6 egg yolks 
- 40 gr caster sugar 
- 80 ml coconut oil  
- 100 gr pandan leaves, cut into small pieces, only choose the green ones, leave out the light green & white ones 
- 150 ml coconut milk
- 50 gr grated cheddar cheese - I actually used 100 gr, but found it to be too much, 50 gr would be just nice
- 50 gr toasted almond slices 
- 145 gr cake flour 
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 

Team White:  
- 6 egg whites 
- 95 gr caster sugar 
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar  
  
Method: 
1. Preheat oven to 170℃. 
2. Blend pandan leaves with coconut milk (I should try with coconut oil next time).  Strain the blended mixture. Set aside.     
3. Beat egg yolks & sugar till light & fluffy
4. Once done, put in coconut oil and mix till well incorporated. 
5. Pour in the pandan juice & coconut milk.  mix well again till well combined.  
6. Mix in the flour, salt & baking powder and mix till well incorporated.
7. Throw in grated cheese & almond slices to Team Yellow but don't mix yet and just put aside.
8. Beat egg whites till foamy.  Gradually add sugar and cream of tartar till stiff peaks formed.  Set aside.  
9. Take a third of meringue mix and fold into Team Yellow, mix till homogeneous.  Pour in the rest of Team White to Team Yellow and fold well.   
10. Pour batter into chiffon cake tube pan, tap pan on table surface a few times to remove large air bubbles.  Run through a chopstick in the batter a few times to remove smaller air bubbles.  
11. Bake in oven at 170℃ for 75 minutes.  (I need to try covering the top with aluminium foil next time because the top browned too fast)
12. Once done, take cake out to cool by inverting the pan.  
13. Remove from pan after cake has cooled down completely.  

And oh yeah.....  Here's a closing shot for this delicious entry: 

Fluffy & Moist - Galaxy Note 9

~ Photos Taken With Samsung Galaxy Note 9 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment