I did mention in my earlier post that my old VAIO's hard disk finally broke down. There was a bad sector where I transferred the photos of my Surabaya trip. I was able to recover up to 1st day only, the rest were from the backup in my phone.
To make things worse, I found out later that my D750 is being recalled because of a faulty shutter unit that causes reflection when taking photos against strong backlight. It's now sitting in Nikon Service Centre and I have to wait for 2 weeks to get it back...... FYI, NIkon has had a string of recalls as of late anyway (I remember back from their D610, then D800, then their Nikon 1, etc, etc), seems like their engineering department need better engineers. Well done Nikon... well done.... (hope you catch the sarcasm there)
Back to my VAIO.. Since only the hard disk broke, the rest of the hardware are still pretty much usable. The VAIO has a reasonably good graphics card, decent i5 processor and 8 GB of RAM. Being the hands-on person that I am I decided to salvage the laptop by installing a Solid State Drive and a new Windows 10.
So I disassembled the laptop like follows.
| Inside the VAIO |
And this is the bad hard disk....
![]() |
| The old hard disk that broke down |
And this is the new guy replacing the bad hard disk.
![]() |
| New 500 GB Samsung Solid State Drive |
The new guy in his place.
| The new muscle is in! |
And let the installation begin!
| Let the installation begin! |
Just a few more kinks to iron up.
![]() |
| Almost there baby |
And it's alive!!
| With brand new SSD and a Windows 10 |
The SSD makes the computer blazing fast. Start up, opening photos, opening videos & media are lightning fast despite the computer using a 4 year old processor and only 8GB of RAM. I had to download some VAIO software to get some of the hardware features running, unfortunately not all. The Stamina/Speed feature does not work and the Radeon graphics card does not seem to work either. But at least the laptop is extremely decent to use now.
I still need a proper laptop with real graphics card for my photo processing so I got a 17 inch Asus laptop. That left a huge dent in my bank account..... :(
No closing shots this time......
~ Photos taken with Sony RX100 Mk 3 ~



No comments:
Post a Comment