This will be the last entry for my Surabaya trip series. Quite short too.... Day 9 was spent with the kids. Again, I didn't bring my Sony as I wanted an easy day so I just used my G3.
We started the day by going to Livana to buy some spikoe cakes. The cake shop is very near, just outside the roundabout in Jln. Mayjend Soengkono. My wife, myself and the kids absolutely love Spikoe, so we never fail to get some whenever we're in Surabaya. After that we went to Ciputra World to let the kids play around and just jalan-jalan.
On the way back Lindsay mentioned that she wanted ice cream. That gave me an idea to try a new cafe in Kupang Indah. It's a cafe specializing in matcha desserts and some Japanese food. The place is called The Matcha Cafe (unsurprusingly....) - UPDATE: Matcha Cafe has since been closed.
![]() |
| Nutella parfait, green tea cake parfait, matcha latte - taken with LG G3 |
The parfaits are very good, as good as those I've had in Singapore. I'd definitely have those again if I had the chance to return. The matcha latte however...... I have mixed feelings about it. While the consistency of the milk is good and the matcha flavour is well balanced (not overpowering and not weak either) I was really taken aback by the sweetness of the drink. And what surprised me further, the server even provided another sachet of sugar with the latte. A slip perhaps.... But there's definitely something wrong with that latte's sweetness.
After the short visit to The Matcha Cafe we went back home to pack up. In the evening my BIL came all the way from Purwokerto to visit his girlfriend. We went to another hip cafe called Monopole.
Monopole is a very good cafe that has been around for quite some time. I had wanted to visit this cafe last year but didn't have the time. Not this year though....
![]() |
| Taro Latte, Affogato, Cafe Latte - taken with LG G3 |
![]() |
| Wall painting inside Monopole - taken with LG G3 |
I find Monopole's drinks to be better than Kabinet Coffee Co. The affogato is very interesting. That ice cream is very very fragrant. I didn't try as it was my BIL's GF's drink, but when she poured the espresso shot on the ice cream the ice creams' fragrance just permeated and made itself known to the spectators. Turns out it was from Napoli, one of the oldest ice cream house in Surabaya. No wonder it's good. The taro latte itself was also very nice. Where Kabinet's taro latte was more milky and very smooth, Monopole's taro latte has stronger taro flavour. Monopole's latte also has stronger texture compared to Kabinet's. In terms of taste, I rate Monopole better. But in terms of presentation, Kabinet has the upper hand.
I can't say much about the food in either place since I didn't try all extensively. But the french toast I had in Monopole was not that good while the chocolate pot in Kabinet was like too dry... I'd like to try the mains in both next time I visit them.
Sooo.... bye bye Surabaya....... see you next year..... :(
Here's a closing shot for this short entry.
![]() |
| Cute wall painting inside The Matcha Cafe - taken with LG G3 |
~ Photos taken with LG G3 ~




No comments:
Post a Comment