Saturday, January 11, 2025

Japan Trip 2024 - Part 6: Sapporo

From white snow land Furano, it was time to trade serene white sceneries for the vibrant and glitzy lights of Sapporo which is the final leg of our Hokkaido expedition.  The missus was getting better, but not 100% yet, same as me, runny nose and coughing still by then.  But I fared better than her for sure.  The cold seemed to have struck her quite hard.

On Local Train From Furano to Takikawa - Galaxy S23+

On arrival in Sapporo station, we took a metro ride to Susukino station and checked in promptly at Mercure hotel.  I was quite worried about how many luggages we had then.  Luckily we could left 3 of them at the front desk for storage. 

After check-in we left for Ramen street, unfortunately most of them were closed.  So we settled for the next best thing which is a big ramen shop Yamaokaya Susukino.  

Exploring Ramen Street - Galaxy S23+

From Yamaokaya, Linc wanted to go Bookoff again while I wanted to go to the laundry.  I was already lugging our laundry bag and not wearing any Heat Tech inner wear.  I was so angry and pissed off, I decided to go to the laundy myself after stopping by a nearby Lawson to get myself a beanie, a ring scarf and a pair of gloves.  It was snowing with strong winds, the cold penetrated deep to the bones, even the mucus in my nose froze.  

And finally when I reached the laundromat I couldn't be happier that I could finally rest in a warm place.  Halfway, the missus and the 2Ls joined me in the laundry. 

Warm Refuge in Aqua Laundromat - Galaxy S23+

After we were done with laundry, we returned to the hotel to drop off the clean clothes.  The missus and I went to Tanukikoji just to explore around and she got me a new headwear from a local brand called TNOC that is more colourful as the kids had said I looked like a bank robber with my black beanie.  Ha... Ha.... yeah...

Overnight, it snowed hard and turned the city white in the morning.  What made the view interesting is that I've never seen a metropolitan covered in snow, that really was my first time being treated to such a mesmerizing view.

White Land Sapporo - Galaxy S23+

Our itinerary for the day was to Shiroi Koibito Park.  After breakfast we made our way to the central bus station first as I thought I could reserve seats for the airport limousine bus.  Unfortunately upon arriving we learned that we couldn't.  So from there we made our way to Sapporo station, enjoying the view of the city covered in snow.  In Sapporo station we did some shopping in a shop specializing in Hokkaido produce called Hokkaido Shiki Marche.  The missus got a lot of butter, cheese and caramel candies there.  So we lugged all those to Shiroi Koibito park with us all day.  

After we were done shopping, we left for Miyanosawa station which is some 45 minutes away by train.

Welcome to Shiroi Koibito Park - The Missus' iPhone 15

As soon as we arrived at the park and I purchased tickets to enter the restricted area.  After viewing the exhibitions as well as a first hand look of the factory, the missus, myself and Lindsay went for a cookie decorating session. 

Lindsay and The Missus With Their Handiwork - Galaxy S23+

After that session we went for a quick lunch before finally exploring the shopping areas and got our hands on their most delicious langue de chats, even exclusive flavours such as Apple Tea and Caramel.

Let's Shop! - Galaxy S23+

After sunset, I went out to the park again as the lights were turned on and a myriad of colours decorated the previously plain white park. 

Lights On! - A7RMk3 + FE24mm F1.4GM

The Clock Tower - A7RMk3 + FE24mm F.14GM

Last Look at The Park - Galaxy S23+

We took plenty of photos there before finally leaving for Odori to watch the winter illumination.  When we arrived at Odori it began to snow heavily.  We looked at the beautiful illuminations even as the temperature was a cold -2° C. 

Beautiful Light Installation - Galaxy S23+

The winter illumination was truly beautiful, made special with the falling snow, something we didn't get to experience in Tokyo.

The Clock Tower in The Background - A7RMk3 + FE24mm F1.4GM

After experiencing the winter illumination we returned to the hotel.  The missus and I went to Mega Donquijote Susukino and explored Tanukikoji for some sightseeing and more shopping while the kids went off on their own.  We then returned to the hotel and called it a night.

On the following day, our itinerary was to the Royce factory.  So it was another train ride to the city fringe.  Royce factory was just so-so, nothing spectacular.  You have to be a Royce fan to want to go there, which in this case is the missus. 

Welcome to Royce Chocolate Town - Galaxy S23+

Craving For Some Chocolates? - Galaxy S23+

Anyway, our stay there was quite short, we returned to Sapporo in the afternoon and visited Bic Camera to decide whether to purchase a new luggage or not.  In the end we decided to not buy any.  

I took the missus and the kids for a Monjya & Modanyaki dinner at a mall near the hotel.  The food was very good, but not very filling.  Next time we'll get 3 servings.  

Monjya + Modanyaki Dinner - The Missus' iPhone 15

After dinner the 2Ls went to Book Off again while the missus and I explored Tanukikoji one more time.  It was a quick night once more. 

Last Night at Tanukikoji - Galaxy S23+

On the following morning, after breakfast we headed to the JR Tower in Sapporo Station for a 360 degree view of Sapporo from above.  The view was really breathtaking. 

The Missus Looking Pretty - Galaxy S23+

View From JR Tower - A7RMk3 + FE24mm F1.4GM

We then returned to the mall where we had our Monjya dinner for a ramen lunch.  After lunch it was time to check out and head for New Chitose airport to start our journey home. 

Waiting For Our Bus - Galaxy S23+

I got a nose bleed on the bus, I guess the air really was too dry or the frozen mucus caused some blood vessels to burst.  At the airport we couldn't help but look around again, trying to get our hands on last minute souvenirs and confectioneries. 

Dora's in New Chitose Airport! - Galaxy S23+

The filght itself was not without any drama.  Linc brought a miniature katana model which was supposed to be checked in, but he had put it in the carry on.  As a result, he had to go out and check it in a separate box, and that's not the end of it.  Not long after, we boarded the plane bound for Tokyo.  By some luck, our Sapporo - Tokyo flight was on board a C3PO ANA plane. 

Our C3PO Plane - Galaxy S23+

On arrival at Tokyo it was more waiting for the connecting flight, which was a full house.  So the katana....  Linc forgot to pick up the box and check it in himself, we got called again at the boarding gate.  Fortunately the ground staff were all so helpful and helped us to pick his package and check it in for our next flight.  And 6 hours after, we finally arrived at Singapore and ended our 2024 Japan Holiday. 

Here's a closing shot for the last entry of this series: 

Us at Sapporo Winter Illumination - The Missus' iPhone 15

~Photos Taken With Samsung Galaxy S23+, The Missus' iPhone 15, Sony A7RMk3+FE24mm F1.4GM~

No comments:

Post a Comment